All about the bass

I am new to the world of high end audio and I am looking to buy a new set of speakers. I am really interested in great bass (tight, powerful and fast). I listen mainly to electronic and classical music.

My budget is up to $5K and my room is small/medium size. Any good recommendations? Should I split the money between a set of speakers and a subwoofer or go all out on speakers ? I am wary of the possible speaker/subwoofer interactions...

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Any good power amp recommendations around the $3k range welcome too...
128x128lilu
Buy the Sheffield Labs Drum Track XRCD and go out and audition. Track 1 has the tightest bass and is very dynamic. This will seriously separate the men from the boys.

If you like electronica then you may be interested to know that the audio engineer for DJ and house music Kaskade is Mike Roskelly.

This is Mike's Salt Lake City Studio

Serious stuff but you can find smaller second hand speakers close to your price range that will work in a small/medium room.

I am listening to Kascade - Track Everything (Big Room Mix) at the moment If you like electronica then look him up Kaskade

I am not into electronica particularly but I am blessed that I like every genre of music that exists...
I have a buddy that has the Focus Audio Legacy HD's...awesome bass down to the depths. Might be worth a look.

Ben
I'm going to put forward what I know. Have had virtually insatiable bass lust ever since being exposed to my first subwoofer decades ago.

Go MONTANA -- the higher up the chain you go, the more capability is there obviously. Pair them with Plinius amps and you are there.

I had to retire my dual 18" sub enclosures, because they now serve no purpose. The MONTANA/PLINIUS combination will astound you -- providing room-moving articulate fast and deep deep bass so profound that subwoofers are almost unthinkable. Since I had the subs before I got the Plinius amps, I kept trying to use them, but just stopped turning them on eventually. Now they are permanently retired.
I concur w/Maich and also w/Tafka Steve. Room does play a very important part.

For amps, I would go w/Ayre V-5xe. It's still a sleeper.