Help: speakers or amp to blame?

I have B&W CDM 9NT's and a CDM CNT as my front 3 in a HT, driven by a Pioneer VSX 49tx. This receiver was considered equal of B&K307 back in 2002, and puts out 130wpcx7. My problem: I just don't get good output at low volume compared to my living room setup:B&W Marix 803s2 driven by Acurus DIA100 integrated/passive preamp(100wpcx2). Is it just that the speakers can't push as much air and I need to upgrade to used n803 or 803s? Would more juice from a more powerful amp help (if so, recommendations?)? Need your thoughts and ideas. Thanks much
Jeffkad
jeffkad
hook up the 9nt's to the acurus amp, then you should have your a good idea if you need more power, power supplies in recievers are usually smaller
Thanks for reply. I did think of that, but it requires carrying the heavy 9NTs up from the basement. Supposedly this particular Pioneer had a strong power supply, at least according to several top reviewers who raved about this unit. The speakers are fine at high volume (although still not as good and full sounding as the older 803s). I guess my question is whether higher power can get more depth and low volume oomph out of a speaker like the 9NT, or is it really a function of some speakers just performing better at low volume than others. Jeff
You might as well do as the first respondent suggested and hook up your Acurus to your 9NTs. At least you will KNOW how the speakers sound with a beefier amp. If the equipment is too heavy for you, get your wife to do it - ba-da bing!

-RW-