Verity

I've been running Verity Parsifal Encores for some time now. I love the speakers, but have been wondering what I can do to take them to the next level of completeness. The obvious is enhancing bass, but I don't want to detract from the rest of the wonderful speaker (IMO). Has anyone mated a sub to these speakers? How? What are your thoughts and opinions on doing this?

I can either spend some $$$ and get the Sarastros, or I can add a sub and see how she goes... Let me know your thoughts, advice or experienced opinion.

I have Shindo Corton Charlemagne 80 amps, Shindo Masseto pre, a Levinson 390S CD, and TW Acustic Raven AC TT.

Many thanks!
hatari
I agree with Gundam, first time i got my Parsifal Encore i feel the bass was shy with my CONRAD JONHSON PREMIER TWELVE of 140 WPC. Few months later i replaced the mono amps by a pair of LAMM M 2.2 and now the Parsifal sing starting from the bottom end up to the very high frequencies.If you look to the spec of the Parsifal they look like easy one to drive but they need clean power of high quality watts. They can full fill a large room (mine is 23 X 23).With the Parsifal if you don't hear bass it is because it is not on the record...not hearthquake shaking one but a very realistic bass too me
Hope this help, i think ading a sub could mess the fabulous mid range
One more vote for amp matching. I've tried +/- a dozen amps with the P/Es and the bass respomse varies enormously. Specifically, an Atma-Sphere s30 was eaten alive by the parsifals- no bass at all. OTOH, a 50W Krell KSA 50s produced deep, tight, powerful bass. I, too, would recommend a different amp, not a sub for your bass issues.

Good Luck,
Marty
Yes, Amps can and will make a difference...I have the Ovations and use a NuForce SE9 V2. I have also reviewed Bryston 4BSST and Conncence Tube Monoblocks. All made a difference in bass.

I now have a pair of Nagra's on the way, and I expect additional bass changes..

With that said, if the Sarastos II are within your reach....GRAB THEM!! IMHO.

John
Hi. Thanks for the input. The Shindos are 80wpc and they enhance the bass versus my old solid state Levinson amp (75wpc). Sorry, I'm not suggesting Verity PEs are weak in the bass, just that it is where I feel these speakers can be better. I'm talking at the margin, just something to scratch my itch to explore... Please take my request in that context.

Sounds like no one believes a sub is a worthy path to explore. Also have to say that the Shindo/Verity match is phenomenal, and I think I've tried a good representation of amps (including Krell) over the years.
I am one who feels,in your case the sub option is a very good idea!

I've heard your speaker alot,and have definitely heard good bass,but with 100 wpc push pull amps.In a rather large room,if one can believe it.

I think,if you like your choice of electronics(a damn good one,btw)a well integrated sub(with built in amp) can be your ticket!!

I had a similar situation with my Avalon Ascent Mk-II speakers...

This is an amazing speaker(by any standard,assuming the room volume is correct).I had built a dedicated room just for it to breath,but wanted to allow for the amazing staging,the speaker can give.

These are a sealed design,with 110 lbs of external crossovers.I had them out about eight feet into the room(from back wall),which is where Avalon felt they would be optimum.Yes,I could "do" that location,and loved it,but my lowest freq(under forty hz)took a "slight" hit!No big deal,but...with the plethora of today's quite good subs(at all price ranges,and don't believe the naysayers)I felt I could get it all.

I DID!!!...but it also took me a long time to properly voice the two to perfection(the Ascents are bullet fast in mid bass,not to mention amazing resolution/tonality in mids/highs).One reason it takes so long is because once you "go sub" you cannot help but to lose yourself in BIG bass!!Alot of it,and it will ultimately(guaranteed)have to be re-voiced,once you get over the newness of so much low freq power,and ultimately decide to "go for accuracy"!You'll do that too.

IT WILL DEFINITELY TAKE SOME TIME!

I added a REL Stentor,and though ALL my friends were against this,it has worked out marvelously.

No hint of discontinuity,basically because my objective was to "only" add a hint if low freq weight/depth.

I cannot see any scenario where you should get rid of such superb electronics,that you already "know" works well with the speaker,to attempt to control the woofer better.

IMO,you'd be taking a chance,and could easily lose the magic the Shindo brings(it has a reputation for a good reason).

There are many options,in both size and price,for you to consider.One thing for sure is that you won't go through the hassle of "selling" and "buying" and ultimately taking a chance with a fabulous amp(like the Shindo).

It's far easier to actually borrow a smaller sub,to play around with,for awhile.There's some "killer" ones out there!Then you'll have a better idea of where you stand.

Good luck.