Would you pay to audition speakers

A dealer told me that he will let people audition 1 pair of speakers for free. If you want to hear multiply speakers
he charges 500.00. If you buy a pair of speakers he will credit you back the 500.00. He says he does this so people don't waste his time. He says If someone is serious about purchasing speakers they won't have a problem with the 500.00 deposit. I'm Interested in knowing how the Audiogon community feels about this.
taters
Take the $500 and invest it in a trip to Denver this fall for the RMAF. There you can audition as many speakers as you like, talk to the designers and leave feeling like you got your money's worth.

What happens if you don't like any of the speakers in the dealer's arsenal? You just handed over $500 and leave a fool.
I would respond with: "While I will may pay you $500 for a bit of YOUR time, I expect the same treatment, I want $200/hr for my time while I am in your store. So you already OWE me $100. Fork it over!
Some good points are brought up on Mt10425's post. Dealers are representing the manufacturer's line and i assume it is at their discretion to demo stock for out of towners who are upfront and honest with their intentions. I have found several dealers in other cities who are "team players" so to speak and look at the larger picture of promoting the line and sacrificing a little of their time,providing they have it,to introduce someone to a new product.
Getting to the real point -Find out which speaker lines are being carried by this dealer -contact those companies and detail this policy to them. I bet the next time you go in there will be no "kill fee" for auditions and hopefully a better attitude- this is the kind of stuff that drives these manufacturers nuts and drives customers away from snotty dealers like this. Take the time and contact these people. You will be doing everybody down the line a favor. The consumer still has the last word!
Would I pay to audition? No

Do I see where the dealer is coming from? Yes

I wouldn't waste a dealers time to set up speakers if I already knew I was going to buy used. Instead, buy the speakers used and audition them at home to see if they are keepers. Pack em up and sell them for a marginal loss, or perhaps a profit if they aren't your cup of tea.

If the speakers are already set up and you want an audition, it should be no charge, but if the dealer has to go out of his way to setup and position two large full range speakers and he knows that there isn't a sale, then his time is wasted.

I bet this policy is based on the customer as others have mentioned. However, I would find another dealer if you are a repeat customer and this policy still applies.
When i purchased my first wattpuppies i went to the store and ended buying both used on audiogon and also a new pair of 7's from the dealer. You just never know when i buyer might change hhis mind and buy new. Sometimes a good salesperson can turn lookers into buyers!

As far as buying a car without driving them isnt the same as speakers. I have purchased all kinds of speakers over the net without ever hearing them. If you buy them right enough you wont lose much if you decide to sell them in the future anyway.

I live in Lansing Michigan and the vast majority of the speakers I am interested in are miles and miles away

The dealer charging $500 to auditon speakers ought to get out of the business. Sounds like he is on his way as we speak!