Can you get "bookshelf sound" from a floorstander?

Listened to B&W's 6 series and much prefered the 686 and 685 to the more expensive floorstanders. I'm a junkie for clear and coherent vocals and the floorstanders seemed to muddy the sound.
Listened to Dynaudio Focus 110s and loved them. Compared them to the Contour 5.4s and I loved the top end of them even more than the Focus' but was again bothered by what I want to call an incoherence... lack of focus... integration... with the low end.

Owned Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher monitors with Dreamcatcher sub and prefered the dreamcatcher monitors over the Arros and without the sub, too.

Am I just a bookshelf guy? Was it my choice of floorstanders? Setup? Anyone have better words to describe what I'm trying to say? I certainly love the low end and dynamic grunt of the big ones but not at such expense.
128x128eyediver
Two way bookshelves are often best value in the under 5K category. For some reason you need to go quite expensive to get equivalent clarity in a large three way. It may be a masking effect, bass notes masking higher frequencies so it is best to go for a speaker with very tight musical bass or you will lose some clarity. Remember that most bigger floor standers are intended to impress customers with overwhelming deep extended bass.

I agree with Marty about the Merlin VSM.
You might want to audition a pair of Vandersteen 3A Signatures. They are full range, floor-standers cost about $4K new. You will be surprised how pure and coherent vocal sounds.
Why would you want to?

OK, I'm old fashioned but I still think of "bookshelf" speakers as the ARs and KLHs of the '60s and '70s, often shown in ads actually placed in bookshelves.

But I believe you are actually asking about stand mounted (monitor style) compared to floorstanders.

Last point first, you mention expense but many of the stand mounts can be very expensive too, and even more-so once the cost of appropriate stands is added in. Just price the Magicos!

Considering sonics, to me the advantage of better stand mounted speakers is the openness from good dispersion and minimized cabinet colorations. But they either lack the warmth of musical foundations in the lowest two octaves or they include a "false" bass from a designed-in peak, usually between 60 and 180 Hz.

With proper design, good floor standing speakers can avoid the boxy, closed-in sounds and cabinet colorations to which you may be objecting. A few options have been suggested above and I would agree with Vandersteen, Audio Physics, Proac, and Merlin. I would add Duntech/DAL, Thiel, Totem, and Gallo. I'm sure there are others that I'm not so familiar with.
I own a Proac Studio 110 and it is rated 33 hz to 30 khz.Very nice high/mid...a little tiny shy on the low end but can live with it...i am not a bass freak anyway.
Very musical and lots of fun to listen to especially biamping...tube amp on hf and s/s on mid/bass.