Can you get "bookshelf sound" from a floorstander?

Listened to B&W's 6 series and much prefered the 686 and 685 to the more expensive floorstanders. I'm a junkie for clear and coherent vocals and the floorstanders seemed to muddy the sound.
Listened to Dynaudio Focus 110s and loved them. Compared them to the Contour 5.4s and I loved the top end of them even more than the Focus' but was again bothered by what I want to call an incoherence... lack of focus... integration... with the low end.

Owned Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher monitors with Dreamcatcher sub and prefered the dreamcatcher monitors over the Arros and without the sub, too.

Am I just a bookshelf guy? Was it my choice of floorstanders? Setup? Anyone have better words to describe what I'm trying to say? I certainly love the low end and dynamic grunt of the big ones but not at such expense.
128x128eyediver
EyeDiver,

OHM Micro Walsh are floor standers using a Walsh driver configuration that meets those criteria in your price range.

I use slightly larger and more costly versions of these in my system, but the Micros come pretty close to these from what I have heard.

Totem Arros also but you've already eliminated those.
9rw,

The VSM presents a sufficiently benign load to the amp that virtually ANY model over 10-15 wpc will work well. I've used more than a dozen different power amps from 300B SET designs to SS high output monsters. Ironically, it allows successful system matching with a greater variety of amps than just about any other extended bandwidth speaker (in-room bass to <30hz) that I've heard. Bobby's personal preferences aside, it's simply wrong to suggest that anyone need change out their system to accomodate VSMs (unless they're running flea powered SET amps).

I'd also point out that the system is a 2 way with x-over at 2200hz. This set up should intuitively provide more "coherent" sound than 3 ways or systems which feature x-over points in the octave or 2 around middle C, where the ear is most sensitive to discontinuity. In my experience, that is exactly what happens with the VSM.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinions, but your specific criticisms of the VSM are at odds with my 10+ years of experience with this speaker. It's not perfect, by any means, but it is Very easy to match to the amp of your choice and it is Very "coherent" (seamless) for a speaker with its low bass roll-off point.

Marty
With a budget of <$1K, many options suggested here are taken off the table.

From my years in this hobby, if I was shopping for speakers at $1K used, my first choice would be the best deal I could find on Vandersteen 1 or 2. Various versions were produced for each model so I would look for the latest available.

Not everyone is a fan of the Vandy sound, some find it muffled and/or without high end detail and extension. Others of us find it to offer realistic treble information without false brightness. One main advantage with all Vandys is the lack of cabinet colorations, a specific objective in Richard's designs. They also offer solid bass response at their respective price points.

Some may argue with this point but I believe Vandys must be placed away from the front and side walls to sound their best. When positioned properly, they can sound good with some modest electronics, but reward the owner with every upgrade. With proper set up and decent electronics, they can be one of the most open and uncolored systems I know of.
martykl, from what i remember, 9rw did own an earlier vsm model and had his room quite heavily damped to control his present speakers of choice. too bad he did not do what the merlins needed in this regard. later vsms, especially the mme/mxe are excellent with ss and tube amps as all of the reviews suggest. a much wider cross section of wire can be used and enjoyed on them too. we have come a long way since 9rw's time with the product.
best, b
I had the VSM SE and used all Cardas cables along with an Audio Research LS25 preamp and various amps, including the ARC VT100, the VT100MKII, a Rowland Model 2 and Rowland Model 10. When I switched to the Dunlavy SC-IV/A it was a HUGE improvement. Bobby told me my amp and preamp were not good matches for the Merlin. Anyway, the room wasn't the problem -- and it was not heavily damped.

So, Marty, please tell us about your associated equipment. Also, are you a fan of pro audio gear? I get the impression that you are, and that's an entirely different world compared to the refinement that I seek in a strictly two-channel system.

From what you write, it's doubtful that you've heard a phase- and time-coherent speaker -- like the Dunlavy, Vandersteen, Thiel or Von Schweikert. These speakers truly disappear. When I had the Merlins, a non-audio friend (but a music lover) said he could hear the tweeter and midrange/woofer drivers distinctly (separately). That's not a good thing.

I have nothing but praise for Bobby's commitment to excellence and his customer service. I just think he's pushed a small two-way design to its limit -- plus you can do a lot better for less money. I'd look to Totem for openers.