hardwood floor and speaker

hi
we're remodelling the house , putting in hardwood flooring on what use to be carpet. what should i do with the speaker spike, or amp stand ( spike )? wife is not crazy about sticking spike into the floor.

thanks
a1126lin
Don't make your wife unhappy! I have high quality wood floors and I use hockey pucks. Helps with a little bit of isolation from vibes traveling in either direction and are stable and cheap. Caveat, I don't think spikes really add much to sonic's except to stabilize the speaker on carpet covered floors. I don't subscribe to the theories about the cones either providing isolation or benefits by allowing vibrations to drain thru them to be dissipated by a wood floor underneath them. FWIW.
There are many discs designed to go under the spikes. I would consider a wool area rug under the equipment stand and speakers. When I took my carpet out I got one from Costco to put under them. Also one from RUGMAN that I put in the center of the room, it is quite good looking and helps the acoustics.
You can get various types of disks to put them on. I have some Clearaudio ones under mine, and Atlantis makes some nice ones as well.
Either take out the spike, or use one of those cones. It's the same thing, in my opinion. You end up with the same surface area contact with the floor. Spikes don't isolate the speaker stand, they couple it to the floor, so that speaker vibrations run out into the room, or let room vibrations go up into the speaker stands, technically. I don't know if that makes it sound better or worse!

There's no such thing as a one-way out for vibrations, because if you remember, for every action, there's a reaction.

I like Stanwal's carpet suggestion