Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
Agree with Bdp24. Nu wave pretty much sucks: Human Legue, Thompson Twins, Hall and Oates Meh...
I hated NW for teh most part when it peaked. I like some of it now in that it came and went and don't have to hear it all the time anymore. Like most all pop music fads.
The subject of our age relative to our perception of some music's quality has been mentioned a couple of times, but has been given short shrift. As we age we (hopefully) become more discerning and mature in our tastes. We also tend to become more cynical. The focus on the perceived decline of the quality of pop music is ultimately pointless and, in a way, self-serving and potentially limiting. As Don_c55 points out music (all art) reflects the time it was recorded or performed in. Pop music, by definition, appeals primarily to the young as they ARE the time; it is their time. Every generation produces quality art, as defined by how well it reflects the time; wether we like what the art says or not is a different matter. We may not be able to relate to it because it is not our time, or it may be harder to find due other changes in our culture. But, it's out there to be sure and we should see this as an opportunity to explore other music genres, current and from the past, that are not "popular", but are music that is more sophisticated and mature; as we are supposed to be.
Even some of the "better" New Wave music sounds dated and disposable to me now. Stuff that I don't mind hearing, but don't feel a need to own, and wouldn't put on the player myself. Stuff like Squeeze, The Pretenders, Blondie (never liked them, but included because I know most did), etc. Too Pop for me now, not enough depth. But everybody's taste changes with age, doesn't it? Except for those guys I know who just can't let go of the damn 60's!