Most overrated audio manufacturers?

Thoughts?
lse
Runnin, maybe that's true, but what you just described is perfectly consistent with what I was referring to~ the 'delta' between the hype and the reality.
I suppose I hold the view that the hype and the reality should match for these higher end manufacturers. My example about Emotiva may be an extreme case. They have promised the XMC for over 4 years now. People have been on a waiting list for that long! They are late by at several months for many of their products, and anything with firmware usually has some issues that haven't been dealt with by beta testers.

I can't think of any other manufacturer that REGULARLY treats the consumer this way. At any rate, you seem to accept this delta, to explain/understand it and hold the view that the market deals with it. I'm not sure about that, because there's a sucker born every minute. The uniformed with a credit card, keep the delta in existence.
So, the market 'corrects' this, even if there is 'buy in' initially.
+1 Whart
the cool thing about this industry, unlike many others, is that it is still in many ways a cottage industry...
think about how many of the products that are still around,
year after year, or pop up fresh and get a following, that are made by little companies, tinkerers, or long time enthusiasts from other industries who have transferred their skills
+2

Considering home audio is an industry with new stuff coming to market all the time, created by both artisans and larger manufacturers, that offers a wide range of buying options from dealers to web-based sellers, a wide range of audition options from showrooms to audio shows to home demos, and the ability to achieve stunning sound from even modestly priced home systems, audiophiles sure find a lot to be critical about.
To Sounds Real....calling out Elizabeth for cynicism in your post, that ends, "Isn't that what we really want in America? To be told a bunch of lies?" Takes chutzpah.

As to the OP, I'd add any manufacturer that charges more than $100 for a meter of HDMI.
Ayre? Really?
I have nothing but good things to say as they were helpful and patient in helping me solve a hum problem.
Turns out it was my doing (placed my Oppo 105 over some ICs feeding my Ayre P5xe phono amp).
Ayre is first class all the way (they sound good too).