Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
I don't know much about anything but Classical but I do know I would much rather listen to the best of rap than the best of rock.

Far more intelligent, relevant and creative IMO .
Interesting observation by Schubert.  Rap/hip hop strikes me as much closer in spirit to 1950s Rock n Roll than most other contemporary music.  On the whole, it's been significantly more counter-culture than most other pop music forms that have come and gone since then.   Like the message or not, at least it has something to say.  Rock music has produced a fair number of virtuoso players over the decades, but you can argue that that sort of misses the point.  None of this music need necessarily be about technical competence.

However, little hip hop resonates with me.  While that doubtless says more about me as a listener than it does about the music, it also speaks to an earlier argument made in this thread:. As we get older, we listen differently.  Some have suggested that we listen with a more discerning ear, but it's also likely that we listen with a less open mind - and I plead guilty to that, as well.
Rap is more expressive story telling accompanied by music.  Some similarity to the blues there.

Rock is more about an expressive musical style accompanied by lyrics.   

They all have lyrics and convey messages but the messages differ in terms of the culture influencing them and that of the target audience.

Like reading a book, listening to music is a way of hearing about the experiences of others and relating to those perhaps in some way.  Rap is well designed for this it seems to me.  The music serves more as an accompaniment than it is the feature.  Kind of like a more rhythmic form of ballad.

martykl, As an old man I've noticed that while wisdom does knock on the door with age,  few let him in . Most young fools just become old ones .

What passes for an open mind in your youth would be an empty mind in your old age .
It would be interesting to hear what Eminem might come up with in his golden years.   I hope he makes it there.