What vintage speaker might you use today

Like to find out what "vintage speakers" members would/might use in their current audio set-up

Do you think what made them special was the synergy between them and the amp used, or just the fact they were well designed and performed way above their price tag.??
sunnyjim
The kicker here is that the jbl  L-7 speaker's are not horn speaker's, one of the last fully dynamic speaker's at this level of performance,  and they were only $2,000.000 new in 1992, sound way more expensive compared to alot of speaker's today, my opinion. 
Are eXemplar Horns vintage speakers?

They were first made in the 90s, but the drivers are from the Altec Lansing VotT, which first came out in the 40s.

Still the best speakers I've ever heard.
Several old school speakers in my two main systems.  A pair of stock Altec 846A Valencia's that have great synergy with my Shindo amp and preamp.  However the Valencia's also sound great when my Audio Research tube gear and McCormack SS amp are pulled out of storage.  I also have a pair of Quad ESL 57's that I plan to run in the early part of 2016 with my Shindo preamp and a pair of Quad II monoblocks to give the Valencia's a little break.

Rounding out the "stable" is a pair of Quad ESL 63's that need refurbishment, but when that project is completed after the Big Move out of SoCal next year, I intend to run them with my ARC gear and a pair of Gradient SW-63 subwoofers.  And a pair of Snell Type J II sound great with both the Shindo and Audio Research gear.

My aching back notwithstanding, it's fun to occasionally swap and move speakers in and out.  Provides for different perspectives, a chance to reassess, and to listen to my musical faves anew.    
Salectric,

I am sure that your 753-type system sounds terrific.  I really like the drivers you are using.  I recently heard a system that is still in the tuning stage of build that utilizes the 32A horn and a 302 compression driver, a 15" field-coil woofer and some kind of EV horn tweeter on top.  I was wondering if you have ever thought that a tweeter might be useful way out on top (I know the 302 can go quite high on its own).  I spoke with a Western Electric expert who told me that the 753 used the 713A or 713C driver, which is more extended on top than the 713B, but is not as smooth sounding, an issue which is somewhat ameliorated by the attenuation of highs from the 90 degree bend in the horn.  

Almarg, Trelja, ct0517,

I totally agree that the Quad 57 remains a top competitor, provided that attaining extremely high volume and deep bass is not a major priority.  That speaker really delivers something magical that is hard to explain.  It is too bad someone does not try to make either a replica or a modernized version (one that does not have a tendency to arc).  I recently heard, at the Capital Audiofest, a reconditioned 57 that had been put into a new frame and actively biamped (electronic crossover, two built-in EL34 amps per channel).  Most of the demonstrations of that speaker were designed to show that it could play deep bass and at high volume.  I could not really say if it still had that incredible midrange magic of the original, but, it certainly was very promising (this is a commercially-available speaker, not a one-of thing).  Another room had a 57 with a super-tweeter on top.  That system, too, sounded quite good, although the large conference room it was being shown in did not help for bass response.

In some respects, it seems that, for my taste, a lot of speaker designers, and buyers, have pursued a certain kind of sound that tends toward a lean, harmonically thin and "bloodless" sound.  There are still makers who deliver an old school sound, but, they are in the minority (e.g., Audio Note, JM Reynaud, G.I.P. Laboratory, ESP).  There are some extremely high end modern builders that deliver old school sound using modern updates of old drivers (Goto, Cogent). Also, while I prefer the old sound, that does not mean I don't appreciate what some very modern and completely different sounding speakers can deliver (e.g., MBL, Raidho, and YG, Soundlab). 
LarryI, as a matter of fact I have tried a Jensen RP-302 tweeter to fill in on the extreme treble; however, I was never satisfied with the blend with the 802/32A.  My crossover includes a small HF boost circuit that helps make the 802-8G closer to full-range in the bent horn.  The very top end is still down slightly but for my tastes that is a price I am willing to pay for the excellent coherency of the 2-way.