When rap came out 30 years ago I thought it was just a fad

Now it seems like it dominates the music industry, movies and fashion. My only question is why?

taters
Rap is not a form of rock and roll--it is rope-skipping rhymes set to a beat.

And, Whipsaw, my thoughts are not reflexive.  I have been listening to this music for over 30 years and have thought about it a lot.  I just don't think there's a lot to say about it.  
You’ve been thinking about Rap music for 30 years, and this is your conclusion?

I don’t think most of it (rap) is even music. I feel the same about a lot of the modern classical compositions I was forced to study in college. Comparing either to real music is akin to comparing that orange-colored chemical crap they put in Pixy Stix to taking a bite of a slice of an actual orange.

Really? Sorry to be harsh, but I would frankly expect a deeper opinion after 30 minutes of thought.

To be clear, I’m not asking you – or anyone – to LIKE the music. But if you are going dismiss it so thoroughly, at least provide a reason beyond "yuck!".

TostadosUnidos offered: "Rap is not a form of rock and roll--it is rope-skipping rhymes set to a beat."

Perfect description if ever I saw one.  IMHO, Rap is "music" for the lazy and uncultured.  Think about it, what does it take to put together a Rap group and start churning out "songs"?  The answer?  All it takes is a few guys getting together with some microphones and a recording device.  There is NO need to devote any time to leaning how to play an instrument well and with learning how to integrate your playing with the rest of the band members.  You can put the whole thing together in an afternoon and then load it up to YouTube for distribution/consumption.  This is the sad byproduct of our instant gratification culture.

I'd be willing to bet that upwards of 95% of rappers cannot play *any* instrument at all.  The really sad part is that most of today's "music" buyers are willing to shell out hard-earned dough for this lame garbage. 

I really don't blame the rappers, I blame the lazy ass, baggy pants wearing public (mostly white, BTW) for supporting this garbage for nigh on 30 years now.  I cool guarantee you that 20 years from now Rap will be seen as nothing more than a nasty pothole on the road to musical excellence.

The one question that has never been answered to my satisfaction is where *do* you go to buy those baseball caps with the brims on the side?  Every one I've ever seen always has the brim in the front.  I must be shopping at the wrong stores....

-RW-
Old white guys whining about rap again??? Look like any other music form there are good examples and bad. Check out Galactic "From the Corner to the Block" for some well done modern rap integrated with jazz, blues, and funk. And yes I am an old white guy myself I just try to keep an open mind.

I like rap under the right circumstances. It really works in film like chase scenes, fights, etc. -very exciting.

I think a reason it prevails is that no one has created a replacement music form. Also, rap songs usually have a well defined message i.e., it is about something the listener cares about (whatever that may be).

Finally, watch the movie "Myra Breckenridge" from 1970 and see Mae West (related to kanye?)  doing the first known rap performance!

This makes rap 46 years old -not 30... (hey kids! Why are you listening to "old fashion" music? C'mon, invent something of your own!).