Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
^^^  Charles ... "blooming wide open" is exactly what the RED fuse did in my system. Interestingly enough, it happened between listening sessions overnight with the system turned off.   I don't understand this phenomenon,  but it has happened on other occasions with equipment or tweaks that are in the break-in period. How can anything continue breaking in when the power is turned off? I've had this experience with cartridges, cables and electronics as well. Not every time ... just some of the time.  Maybe some of our electrical engineers reading this can explain it. Is it just me ... or do molecules continue to align themselves properly without an electrical signal passing through? I failed math in high school ... but had the best dance moves at the prom.  *lol*

Oh, and last night I played that Curtis Counce CD in your honor. There is an extensive drum solo on one  of the cuts that puts the drummer right there in the room. 

Cheers ...
Oregonpapa; " How can anything continue breaking in when the power is turned off?" 
I know memory can be a funny thing and I know this is true in my case. Having said that I am very sure this happened to me twice.
The RED changed in a significant manner while turned off for 20 hours at the forty hour break in point. This is when I knew there was no way that darn fuse was ever coming out of my amp.
The only other time a huge change took place to my gear while turned off was when I installed a Entreq Audio Silver Telus. Connected it to my amp played music for several hours then perhaps 20 hours later started up some music and.... WOW!
With all the reports of break in occurring with all new gear and parts, and especially with the more unexplainable improvements in sound, I believe there are neuronal pathway changes occurring in the primary audio cortex, wherein, along with the other senses, we finally experience and identify with the external environment. Cortical sensory processes are not as well understood as those in the sensory organs, i.e., the ears and eyes.  There must be new synapses forming as we listen to familiar music heard under different circumstances, such as with better acoustics or from a less-distorted playback system.  In my experience, I hear the music more clearly and completely when a new audio device is introduced.  You may say this is because the item is breaking in--settling in. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly--there are profound improvements as a piece settles in, but there must be something else going on at the interpretive end of things, because I, and others, I must assume, are hearing improvements in familiar music that become hardwired, much the same as memory does, only the newest improvement is built upon the last improvement I remember hearing, which is in itself superior to the ones before that. I believe that aural memory is quite accurate in listening to the same system that is undergoing small changes. I do not have a lot of faith in aural recall with A/B testing in an unfamiliar situation--this is not what I am referring to, and I dismiss naysayers who rely on A/B "shock" testing to disprove the efficacy of upscale fuses and cables, etc.  You who listen carefully to your own systems know what I mean here. in conclusion, I believe the more you listen to music you know, the better it sounds--even after something breaks in.  

Jafreeman, i do agree with you. 

If it sounds good, it's good, maybe just a little smoother but not drastic, i have heard the chord cable users saying the cables sound real bad when new and new in excess of 500 hrs in which there is a transformational change. 

The basic characteristic sound show maybe with just a few hours running and at most by the next listening session.

If they sonic character is not immediately appearent, best to leave it to run with no further sessions until 2 to 3 days before reassesing.

I would think the Black cannot sound similar or as smooth as the Red, i associate more clarity with a less smooth or easy listening and more upfront sounding, some tracks actually may start showing more grain as well due to the more revealing character.

I definately found the Reds on the smooth side without any critical listening, itbwas there from the 1st go. I actually felt the SR20 sounds brasher and boulder but not as smooth and balanced sounding.

I most certainly believe in component/accessory break in periods. I have heard this first hand myself over the years,time and time again. In some instances,the break in period would even go in another direction other than the one I was hoping for,before coming back around to where I thought it could/should be.

But,without any reservation, I also believe that a lot of what we hear can be based on how our mind works in tandem within the bounds of mood,and/or,emotion at the time of any given listening session. This mind set may or may not be in synch with our aural expectations. There have been times that my system sounded so wonderful that I thought it could not possibly get any better... Then there were times when I just wanted to toss the whole system into the street,and start anew.

We humans are a fickle bunch for sure,but I guess the bottom line is...whatever works best for you, and your needs, in your system, is ultimately the correct way of going about your audio business. What one feels works...or not... in ones own system, is what matters most...Not something that someone else’s expectation is...according to their own likes, and and dislikes...aurally speaking,of course.