No bass with new turntable?

Hello, I've just set up a Pro-ject Carbon DC Esprit, dialed in the arm etc., and while the upper spectrum of the sound is great, there is just no bass, let's say below the 80-100hz range. It's been probably 30 years since I've fooled around with turntables so I can't remember if that's just the way it's supposed to be. Luckily I have a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system to turn up what I'm missing, but without that I'd be completely disappointed. Using a CDP my speakers are very full of bass. I've played with the tone arm adjustments with no difference in bass really, all supplied cables hooked up and checked, the cart is an Ortofon Red, the phono preamp is integrated in the Rogue Audio Sphinx amp.
 Any suggestions/opinions?
wetfeet48

Just to cover the bases, I assume that you did plug the TT into the phono stage input on the preamp rather than another auxiliary input, correct?  What ae your speakers?

Hi, yes, I should've mentioned the Sphinx does have a phono preamp, and I've read it's supposed to be quite good, but I'm wondering if something is not right/damaged. I have some rare A16 Audio Euridia "bookshelf" speakers, 89db 100w. I put bookshelf in parenthesis because while they're smallish, they're pretty high end and bass dips down low. As mentioned previously they do sound full and rich with the CD player. 
Something has to be wrong here, my sister's Crosley sounds better than my set up. I'm going to try some new vinyl today and see if that does something.
Post removed 
You've left out the two most critical bits of information: What tonearm? What cartridge? (Maybe the Project you own comes with its own tonearm; I would not know.)  In any case, low bass response in vinyl is very much a function of the interaction of the tonearm with the cartridge and of cartridge alignment.  The most simple-minded thing to try is to lower the rear of the tonearm a tiny bit, so that the pivot point is very slightly below plane parallel with the surface of the LP, and listen again.  And no, vinyl is not per se bass deficient.