Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Guys,

I am seriously on the same fence, CJ or Pass labs, as to my electronics selection for my Thiels.  Which cd/sacd players are you "digital" guys using.  I have a small collection of about 3000 cd and sacd titles!

unsound...
Yeah,  I have seen a pretty good amount of Threshold pieces about the inter-web thingamabob but my skepticism about their provenance has kept me from actually dipping my toes in the proverbial waters.  Price wise they're certainly in my wheel house.

My guys around the corner just told me that they have a BAT VK3 preamplifier coming in soon - not certain of the exact model number - that they'll let me have for about $1k.  I've never had but always wanted to check out their stuff and maybe this is the perfect opportunity to tube front a class d amp!

What this all comes down to is that I am building a new system around my LOUDSPEAKERS - which some people here may think is backasswards...but what the heck.  I moved my Maggie 1.7's out and haven't looked back,  but when I have my original CS 3.5's to my nephew I haven't been able to look forward.  Thiels are THAT good.

obigny,

Just noticed there is a set of 3.5 on eBay for $495.00 OBO. Right in your neck of the woods. Possible spare parts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thiel-CS-3-5-Coherent-Loudspeakers-with-Bass-Equalizer-Priced-to-Sell-/151971553058?hash=item236235df22:g:SuUAAOSwpzdWsTzv

jafant,

As I've written before: my CJ Premier 12 monoblocks are driving the Thiel 3.7s very well.  If one wanted more "slam" to the sound, especially the bass, I suppose one could go to much more powerful SS amps or something.  But in terms of the evenness of sound, and bass articulation it's been a great combination.  That smooth CJ sound aligned with the see-through clarity of the Thiels is pretty magical for an "all the detail you could want, presented musically" presentation.

oblgny, I've heard the other arguments, but I steadfastly believe that "backasswards" is exactly how you should build a system! Starting with knowing how much of the contents of the billfold in your back pocket your willing to depart with, to the listening position in your room (where the sum everything before comes together), and the room (don't forget the treatment) is so important, then to speakers (the most colored of components, so make sure that those colorizations are the least objectionable possible) that will vary more in rooms more so than the vast majority of reasonably compatible electronics ever will, to the amplification needed to drive those speakers in that room, then keep going back to the source(s), then to the rack, finally fine tune with cables.

If you like Pass Labs, there's a good chance you'll like Threshold, some even prefer the Thresholds.