Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro

The AT155 has the same 490mH generator as the modern 440/120.  I see the 440 replacement stylus went up another $50. For another $25 or so you can get a 150MLX stylus. This is a great combination with the 490mH motor, reminiscent of the 160ML.

The Signet TK5Ea, 7Ea, 7LCa, all have 550mH generators. All the beryllium styli (7LCa) are extremely rare. If you're looking, there are models like 152LC/ML and Signet MR5.0 LC/ML. These have the same fitment.  The 440MLa stylus has a bump at 16KHz - might be a perfect match for the 550mH motor, I don't know.  All of that series will fit. BTW, AT has a new "B" version of the 440/120. The generator appears the same.

Regards,

Regards. Stereoneedles (dot com) still offers the original ATN155LC. Another alternative from the same vendor would be the ATN140LC, a nude LC stylus on a tapered alloy cantilever. A slightly warmer performer.

As Halcro (hi, Henry!) mentioned, the 155LC is an excellent upgrade stylus for the TK-5Ea, detailed response while avoiding distracting brightness.

Peace,

Hi Timeltel, Good idea to check stock with Stereneedles before ordering. Someone said they were out of all styli with beryllium cantilevers, over a year ago. They are slow to update their site and someone said they had trouble getting a refund.

I have an ATN140LC - sounds similar to a an ATN440ML and the generator is the same 490mH.  The 140 is more compliant.

If they have the ATN155LC,  that would be a good buy.

Regards,

Isn't this stuff best posted on the "other" thread, sometimes known as "the thread" on MM cartridges?  Just sayin'...