Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Shostakovich's music :

One thing to keep in mind about this composer and other Russians from his era.   Their music had to meet the approval of Stalin and the Communist Party (NKVD).   A bad review could be deadly.

Cheers
Rok, I can't (or maybe just won't) try to answer your 'unanswered question', except to say that I thought that your posts as well of the posts of Orpheus were, far more often than not, more about yourselves and your perceptions/opinions, than the music itself.

Sharing an opinion with others can be a fine thing, but confusing your opinion, and/or valuation, of the music itself, or even a specific performance, with something absolute, is too god like for me to want to endure.  Nothing new here. I said as much 3 years ago.

If I were  a musicologist I would  gladly converse with one. Not being one I would still enjoy talking with one and trying to gain some knowledge. If I were a musician I would love to discuss my musicianship with other musicians. I might have more difficulty with this conversation as I have no shared experience to begin with.  This may be why I like/appreciate Frogman and Learsfool - they are both generous of spirit and their time in trying to inform others. 

But I'm neither of the above, only a listener.  I can share with others only my appreciation for that which I have heard, or perhaps for what I would wish to hear. And that is enough for me. :-)

Instead of posting, I decided to "re-post" your's

Seems like I have seen or been in this movie before. A certain person throws a hissy-fit, and storms off the thread. Then we have all these previously unknown and unheard 'supporters' 'coming forward' to say things like "you did your best", "they are beyond help", "why do you even bother", "you fought the good fight", etc........ oops almost forget the most dreaded of all "they are arrogant".

Now I have asked this question before, with no answer. There is never an answer. But, since you are sort of new as a poster I thought maybe you could answer this question.

Exactly what is it that certain people are trying to teach us, that we, because of our ignorance and / or arrogance just don't seem to get?

If I knew the answer to this, perhaps the whole thread would be different and more civil. Please answer if you feel you can. And in DETAIL with examples.

I would also like the answer to those questions.

Rok, I liked Liz Wright; her lyrics to the songs were deep beyond her years, whether she wrote them or not; while that's important, the fact that she chose them is most significant. She'll go a long way.

Enjoy the music.
@onhwy61 

***** You would have a better chance of changing the mind of a creationist regarding biological evolution.******

Or changing the minds of audiophiles that can 'hear,' fuses, or cable lifters, or speaker wire, or bricks on top of their CD players, or green magic marker on their CDs, or....I'm beginning to feel 'unclean', so I think I'll stop now.   You get my drift.

BTW, I always consider  these beliefs held by Audiophiles when listening to comments or advice from people on this forum.  Puts them and their thoughts in proper perspective.

Cheers