Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Learsfool, ARC has engineers to design their amps and pre-amps. After the engineers have finished, they have 'audiophiles' to fine tune them. There is nothing "objective" about what these audiophiles are doing, it is all subjective. Any thing that is objective can be measured; how would you measure the beauty of Mary Lou Williams music?

I measure it by my senses. Whether or not anyone else agrees with my measurements is totally moot. How do I measure the soul in the tune "Blue Funk" by Milt Jackson and Ray Charles; that tune has so much soul that it's incomprehensible. In order to capture the nuance completely, a 45 RPM disc and a high end analog rig with tube amplification is required. How do I know this, you might ask; I know it through my subjective senses that are in harmony with others who have the same senses.

How do I know my subjective senses are accurate? By a comparison with many others whose same subjective senses have been acknowledged. "Moanin" by Bobby Timmons is another tune with a high degree of "soul", how do I know this? Because Bobby Timmons music speaks to the soul; not just my soul, but to the soul of multitudes. His music conveys messages without words; it projects emotions that people who don't even speak the same language recieve.

In regard to those who think my perceptions are false, I don't ask them to listen to or believe my perceptions; why should it matter if my perceptions are false to them. Who is the absolute judge of perceptions, and who judges  their perceptions?

Enjoy the music.  

Let's explore the music of Ry Cooder; he's all over the place, no matter what your groove is Ry Cooder's got it.

Imagine waking up at three in the morning to find yourself in a landscape with city streets and no houses as far as the eye could see, with nothing but the light of the silvery moon. This is the music that would fit such a setting.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=050TIMlpmL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOkXrd6eRRw0

Like I said, no matter where you want to go, Ry Cooder can take you there.

Enjoy the music.
Orpheus, have you watched this movie? It certainly explains a lot of things behind some aspects of US economy. It is a not an action movie, in fact the trailer is not true to a real tempo of the film, which is very slow, patient, and the caracters are all in service of the story (or better understanding of it)

https://youtu.be/LWr8hbUkG9s

However, as it is a story about US economy, I am not sure am I allowed to comment on that, since I am European?

As to your perception,nobody is saying that it is 'false', when you talk about work of some late masters, its just that you are fixed on one period and couple of styles, which is perfectly all right. (like I said, that is my favourite music as well) 
But in the same time, it seems to me that you refusing to except that any other music that was made later in time has an equal right to be called 'jazz'
Now we are coming to a 'problematic' part.
When you are asked to explain which elements of music are best describing the 'jazz' that you like, or what it is the thing that it makes you like it, you simply refer to it as a 'soul'.
On the oher hand, the music that you dont like  you simply call 'intellectual' or 'soulless' without further analysis of elements of its 'lackings'
There is no need for so many harsh words, I guess Frog.or Leafr. could simply ignored some of the coments written here and continue to write about their favourite music.
I can only speak for myself, but for example, when I hear somebody praisng Keith Jarret, without knowing the work of Evans, than I am sceptical about his musical taste and his knowledge in general.
But, as we all have seen,  Frogman is quite good in recognising the good music from the past (aldo he dont like some of my 'forgotten' ones) and somehow I am more inclined to trust him or his taste about some contemporary music after that. 
The fact that I still may not like that music does not mean that that music is not good, it is quite possible that I am not 'there' yet.
I am sure that we all can agree that our music taste has changed during time.
So, whats the problem?

Alex, in regard to that movie, I haven't seen it BUT I will. Even if you were an American citizen, you are not supposed to talk about fraud that insinuates the government is involved.

In regard to "jazz" you must be confusing me with Rok, I have no problem with anyone's opinion about the music.

Their problem is they seem to think I should learn something about music, and my reply is

I DON'T GIVE A HOOT NOR HANG ABOUT LEARNING ONE WRITTEN NOTE, IS THAT CLEAR?