Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** Rok you were "property" of the US government, you could have gotten court-martial for getting frost bite in Alaska. You were not paid to think; but that's the way all military's have functioned since time began.*****

Wrong, wrong and wrong. 

I was not 'property'
MY career would have been if jeopardy if one of my soldiers had suffered from frost bite.
I was paid to think.

BTW, if you were a real estate agent, you guys were the problem.  Not the Fed.

Cheers
Hi O-10 - your post today about subjectivity and objectivity was interesting.  Most of it is fine as far as it goes.  However, as Frogman has pointed out several times, there is much more about music that is indeed objective than you think.  It requires knowledge of music to be able to determine which is which.  And since you state that you have no knowledge of music and do not want any, doesn't this mean that your point of view is neither objective or subjective, but simply un-informed?  Even subjectivity assumes knowledge of the subject.  You seem to imply that your un-informed point of view has equal value to an informed one.  While this may be true for you, I don't see how it could possibly be true for anyone else, and that is the problem.  You also imply that this situation is unchangeable, which it is clearly not.  Again, that is up to you.  Please do not take this personally - I am genuinely interested in trying to bridge the disconnect here.  I am not at all implying that you are not capable of understanding - I know you are if you wanted to.  But if you really don't want to, then it seems to me that you really shouldn't complain about your "detractors" who insist on correcting false statements/perceptions.   

Learsfool, ARC has engineers to design their amps and pre-amps. After the engineers have finished, they have 'audiophiles' to fine tune them. There is nothing "objective" about what these audiophiles are doing, it is all subjective. Any thing that is objective can be measured; how would you measure the beauty of Mary Lou Williams music?

I measure it by my senses. Whether or not anyone else agrees with my measurements is totally moot. How do I measure the soul in the tune "Blue Funk" by Milt Jackson and Ray Charles; that tune has so much soul that it's incomprehensible. In order to capture the nuance completely, a 45 RPM disc and a high end analog rig with tube amplification is required. How do I know this, you might ask; I know it through my subjective senses that are in harmony with others who have the same senses.

How do I know my subjective senses are accurate? By a comparison with many others whose same subjective senses have been acknowledged. "Moanin" by Bobby Timmons is another tune with a high degree of "soul", how do I know this? Because Bobby Timmons music speaks to the soul; not just my soul, but to the soul of multitudes. His music conveys messages without words; it projects emotions that people who don't even speak the same language recieve.

In regard to those who think my perceptions are false, I don't ask them to listen to or believe my perceptions; why should it matter if my perceptions are false to them. Who is the absolute judge of perceptions, and who judges  their perceptions?

Enjoy the music.  

Let's explore the music of Ry Cooder; he's all over the place, no matter what your groove is Ry Cooder's got it.

Imagine waking up at three in the morning to find yourself in a landscape with city streets and no houses as far as the eye could see, with nothing but the light of the silvery moon. This is the music that would fit such a setting.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=050TIMlpmL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOkXrd6eRRw0

Like I said, no matter where you want to go, Ry Cooder can take you there.

Enjoy the music.