Losing out

I'm a little ticked.  Was having a good convo with a seller and was afforded the opportunity to respond/commit to buy by the end of the day.  I did.  Lo and behold.  Sold to another.  Wasn't given a courtesy heads up that an offer had come in even though I was within the time frame noted.   Am I wrong to be irritated?  I don't operate that way.  Even with people I don't know I do the right thing.  Don't believe the right thing was done today by a highly graded seller.  
drpat
Having had similar experiences, I share your frustration. You sound like a serious buyer and the seller has not treated you well. However, "a good convo with the seller" doesn't replace a firm offer. Your story didn't say that you had submitted an offer, but that you believed the seller had afforded you the opportunity to commit by the end of the day. In the absence of an offer, a seller can get frustrated and sell to a firm buyer, even below the asking price, if he thinks that a potential buyer is just tire kicking. It's best to just move on and try to avoid that "highly graded seller" in the future.
However, "a good convo with the seller" doesn't replace a firm offer. Your story didn't say that you had submitted an offer, but that you believed the seller had afforded you the opportunity to commit by the end of the day. In the absence of an offer, a seller can get frustrated and sell to a firm buyer, even below the asking price, if he thinks that a potential buyer is just tire kicking.
 +1

From a buyer's perspective (you) we AGONers are sympathetic to you for a missed opportunity.....BUT.... It is tempered with certain limits that must include the seller's position.

Disappointing to you for sure but..... and it is a big "but".... Your post does not explain why the delay in your non-guaranteed buy commitment until later in the day.

It may have been a noble reason for you, but frankly, it matters little to seller without a refundable deposit from you to "seal the deal " and hold it for you. That deposit , say instant through PayPal, would automatically predicate seller to contact  you FIRST after a a new competing offer for immediate full payment or "sayonara". 

A refundable deposit to hold means something in an  audio form member honor system. Many of us as sellers have been burned by a buyer who first promises the world with enthusiasm and even informally asks for concessions; but then he inexplicably craps out and fails to complete the deal after a lengthy time-wasting dialogue exercise. Once it happens to you, it's likely the very last time that, as seller, you will expose yourself again to that piss-off from anybody. 

In simple words, first come with the cash = first  served... Full stop.

From a seller's perspective, I cannot criticize  any seller's viewpoint that "in God we trust, everybody else pays cash!". Those rules are clearly understood, full stop again. A refundable deposit from you - even a nominal $100 - would support a "hold". Without it, I would not "hold" it for a stranger either.

Seller is not your friend, he doesn't know you, don't expect seller to care about you past selling his kit, because  this is just a simple bulletin board for HIS QUICKEST completed sale for the best offer.