Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, no matter what you say they will never get it.

Frogman, can you say "stereotypical", that was the sound of Phil Woods jazz. Did he do anything that was unique? He did his best to imitate "Bird", but so did a lot of other people; that was his claim to fame.

Newbee, are we talking about anthropology or music?

Where is Learsfool? That's all we need to complete the 'wackery'.

Enjoy the music.
Hi O-10,

I'm talking about both.  How about we just call it 'musical anthropology', FWIW this is a a' defined' phrase. I guess you didn't know of its existence.

Personally,  I can't begin to understand how you can separate the two words when that is exactly what you have been talking about, i.e. the history/developement of jazz.   Though I must admit that I have thought myopia attractive at stressful times in my life. KTSS.
Like all people, musicians have been affected by the political, economic and social events of 20th century.The technological adavnces as well have brought music to larger audience than ever before, besides vastly increasing the range of music available. Can you just imagine the repertoary of recorded music, in oppose to past where one could here only live performed music? As early of 1904 music works have been recorded and radio broadcasts of live or recorded music began to reach large audience during the 1920s.
 Everything is conected,and there are so many influences to music, and jazz is not an exception. I dont know why that sound so strange to you, Rok and Orpheus?
 For example, if the events around WW2 did not make the largest migration of artists and intellectuals in history, from Europe to US, do you think that American musical culture would be the same today? After all, Stravinsky, Bartok, Schoenberg, Hindemith all went to States, later two taught in universities there.
 What about African American composers and performers?  William Grant Still and his 'Afro American Symphony' ( from 1931) was the first composition by black composer to be performed by major American symphony orchestra. Its been said that he incorporated spirituals, ragtime and blues in his work. Is he the only one, that was influenced by many things? I doubt. Here is the link. 

https://youtu.be/4AkltZeVcJE

***** Amazing music and incredible performance:*****

Just because you say it, don't make it so.  I know that may be hard for you to grasp.

***** You’re cherry picking your lists and not accounting for the subjective nature of this silly exercise*****

I just clicked on the first three lists.  Why would I cherry pick something, if I am seeking information for myself? 

Any list may be subjective, even yours.  Unless you know of a list that was handed down on Mt Sinai.

Cheers