Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"Mary Lou's Blues" is just too hip; WSIE played this just a few minutes ago, they're trying to catch up to the one and only; ORPHEUS!

Rok, how long have we been into Mary Lou Williams? These "Johnny come lately's" are trying to catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3_8X7uaKiQ

This is followed by "The Blues"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mary+lou%27s+blues

Frogman, could you give us your professional critique on these two tunes?

Enjoy the music.

I was just reading about "Live Trane: The European Tours" ; Trane, tenor and soprano sax; Erik Dolphy alto sax, bass clarinet, flute; McCoy Tyner piano; Reggie Workman bass, Jimmy Garrison, bass; Elvin jones drums. This set contains music from nine concerts that took place between November 61, and November 63 ( I saw Trane, McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, and Jimmy Garrison, in the dead of Winter 63, must have been in January)

The sonic quality of this set is 2 1/2, while the performance is rated 5 out of 5 stars. There are five versions of Mr. PC, four of "Naima" and six of "My Favorite Things", ranging from 14 to 25 minutes. I saw the 25 minute version; fortunately there was a musician seated at our table who thoroughly enjoyed the extra time on my favorite things, while the rest of us were somewhat bewildered. I'm sure that Frogman, and Learsfool would have appreciated that extra time, because they're musicians.

A case can be made that "Live Trane" documents the crucial transition in Coltrane's artistic development, when he moved from chord-based "vertical" improvisation to open ended "horizontal" melodic invention based on scales and modes.

Carlos Santana states, "John Coltrane broke through to the other side. He found "The Light", and for a time, he became "The Light". This concert contains eight hours of music, you glimpse what it was like to be in the presence of Coltrane when he lived.

I think that last paragraph sum it all up.

Enjoy the music.

When People think of John Coltrane, they seldom think of his sentimental side;

"Coltrane for Lovers" exposes a side of "Trane" that's rarely explored.

All tracks have John Coltrane playing tenor saxophone.

1. "My One and Only Love"
2. "Too Young to Go Steady"  
3. "In a Sentimental Mood"  
4. "It's Easy to Remember"  
5. "Dedicated to You"    
6. "You Don't Know What Love Is"
7. "After the Rain"  
8. "My Little Brown Book"
9. "Soul Eyes" Mal Waldron
10. "They Say It's Wonderful"
11. "Nancy (With the Laughing Face)

The recordings compiled for Coltrane for Lovers initially received criticism for Coltrane's stylistic move from complex jazz compositions of the free jazz form to a simplistic formula of ballads and blues. Following the initial controversy, the album's recordings gained a legacy as one of Coltrane's most popular recordings and significant in the genre of romantic jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r594pxUjcz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrwSuy6ZBjI

Here we have "In a Sentimental Mood" and "You Don't Know What Love Is"

Enjoy the music.
Frogman (an others?), I just played a 'Latin Jazz' recording that I thought you might enjoy if you haven't already heard it. On the down side it did win a Grammy and it is relatively recent. Charlie Haden's (an excellent bassist IMHO) recording on Verve "Land of the Sun". Gonzalo Rubalcaba plays the piano. Outstanding late night romantic jazz, I think. The devil made me do it! :-)

"Outstanding late night romantic jazz", that's a perfect description; right now the sun is shining very bright, and it's a long time since I've been in a romantic mood. After it gets dark, if I can find anyone to get in a romantic mood with, that just might work; but seriously, I checked a few cuts, and I think it's a nice album.

Enjoy the music.