stereo for the joy of it - can records be cleaned?

I came across a living stereo set of classical records called "Stereo for the joy of it".  It includes some very well known living stereo recordings.  The records are very dirty and it appearss as though the cellophane sleeves may have permanently damages the records.  Is their any way of cleaning these records and getting good results.  They look almost unplayed except for the dust and the cellophane damage.
tzh21y
Dave,

Thanks for your response!

I'm a BIG believer in steaming first. There are many "common sense" +'s to be found this way.

This is, again, a plus in that it keeps all of our expensive velvet pads, expensive water, expensive rollers/filter (in the Audio Desk) cleaner...LONGER!

I can't match you on your testing methods/TDS. However, I'd challenge you to try my way, (steam first),  then use your testing methods (TDS) and post your results.

(An additional benefit of having/using a steamer is, you can actually steam clean your velvet pads on and vacuum machine, vs replacing them, you can steam clean your nylon bristle brush that's used in applying your favorite cleaning fluid, you can steam clean your Disc Doctor/Mobile Fidelity brush/velvet pads, your VPI pick-up tube velvet pads... Need I go On???

Some things are just "common sense" options that can't be beat.
...the importance of having, in this case, an ergonomic/effectrive steamer that is actually a joy to use. This will result is an easier time steaming records that equals, a more enjoyable time spent cleaning = cleaner records = increased listening pleasure.

These are the little things that add up that I don't skimp on. Say $16.00 vs. $40.00. Over the lifetime of the steamer vs. increased listening pleasure/cleaner more enjoyable records... No BRAINER for me!

Cheers.
A reminder that if the set is in its original state, the sleeves are or were glassine. I might do research on removing glassine debris from vinyl. In my experience I've never seen glassine sleeves damage vinyl, in fact I think it makes a very good sleeve, but perhaps under less than ideal storage conditions it could adhere to the record.
Good find though, if you can clean it up
You don't need much technology to clean your records....this is what I would do in your situation...cheaply:
--Use warm clean water and a sponge to gently soften the debris
--Pass the record through a Spin Clean washer, let it dry
--Thinly spread Elmer's school glue for a deep clean on each side overnight, then peel.
--Spin Clean washer again
It takes time, but I have restored very unpromising records this way.
I have a NittyGritty. I don’t use it much, but when I do, it does its job well. Never had a problem with it....I have the top of the line Cocobolo wood one. Nice looking. The owner (Mrs. Gritty ..believe it or not) is very nice to deal with.