OK...I've ditched my mono cartridge

Like many others I suspect, after the Beatles Mono release Box Set
http://i.imgur.com/JhcIBai.jpg
I read a lot about the 'supposed' benefits of a true mono cartridge over simply using the 'mono' button in a phono-stage/preamp.
So I was persuaded to try one (without breaking the bank).
http://i.imgur.com/yHeUiPH.jpg
It's now been 18 months of listening and comparing the AT 33Mono
http://i.imgur.com/C3bAOfA.jpg
with all my other favourite stereo cartridges played with the mono button on the Halcro DM10 preamp.
Firstly...I'm not a fan of the AT33 sound. Compared to my short-listed dozen cartridges out of the 80+ I have owned, it lacks sparkle, depth, bass and 'life'...😩
Why have I narrowed down my worldwide search for the 'ideal' cartridge to a mere handful....to then just meekly accept the second rate performance of a 'hack' cartridge simply because it's a 'true' mono?
And why would anyone who has invested in a Koetsu Coralstone, Atlas, Anna, Goldfinger or Airtight for their stereo listening pleasure.....'step-down' to a lesser cartridge for their mono listening?
Oh...I know you can buy better sounding mono cartridges than the AT-33Mono.....but how many are you going to try to hope to match your favourite stereo ones?
Now that I've ditched the 33Mono.....I can listen to all my great cartridges with all their diverse flavours just as I do for stereo recordings.
And I never really did hear a special difference in the dedicated 'mono' one even though I half persuaded myself that I should...🤓
128x128halcro
From what you've written I don't think you can draw any meaningful conclusions about mono vs. stereo cartridges.  You picked a low mono and compared it to very high end stereo and came to the conclusion that mono isn't worth the effort.  Not a fair comparison.
I wouldn’t claim that the AT 33MONO is the last word in mono cartridges, but for me the things that it does well with mono LPs outweigh its shortcomings relative to the excellent stereo cartridges playing mono that I’ve compared it to(AT ART7, Ortofon MC2000, Accuphase AC-5, and many vintage MM/MIs.) The 33MONO performance is calmer, more organized, and less of a shrunken bullseye than the stereo cartridges. It has good bass, but perhaps less "sparkle" and "life", as stated by OP. However--particularly on old records--it is much quieter in the groove. IMO that is the raison d’etre of a mono cartridge. Of 6000 or so LPs I’ve collected just 100 monos, from ’50s/’60s jazz through recent audiophile reissues of Miles, Coltrane, and Beatles. At my modest level of commitment to mono, the 33MONO is my fav cartridge and a reasonable value. It doesn’t deserve a drubbing.
OK folks, is there one single component or aspect in this hobby we all can agree on?  None that I can think of.

So both halcro and dgarretson are correct for their own perspectives.

In my view the value in bothering with a dedicated mono cartridge is based on two considerations.  How many mono records do I own?  And are they original mono releases, and therefore produced by mono cutter heads, or are they reissues, say since around 1990 and likely cut with stereo heads?

Then it becomes a question of coil design (vertical pickup or not) and stylus tip design and size.  Horses for courses as they say.

I have a Zero and a higher end Koetsu. Also, an arm that allows a moderately easy change.

The Zero is fine, but it lacks the ultimate refinement of the Koetsu, on EX mono records from the 60's.