Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

It's amazing how we think of artists who play flute and sax; for reasons unknown to me, I think of Frank Wes, flute; Bud Shank, flute; Yusef Lateef, flutes of every description. Maybe it's the compositions they play the different instruments in because I can't say I favor one instrument over another, although Frank Wess was beautiful on lush life.

Enjoy the music.
****Although it’s good to know such things if you’re a musician.****

Actually, it’s also good to know these things if you’re just a listener; which is why I bothered making the comment. You may choose to be the kind of listener who doesn’t care about knowing these things and continue to, as you yourself just admitted, "get lost", and that’s perfectly fine. Or, you can choose to not be so dismissive of a little bit of knowledge and become a more astute listener. I assure you that there are many listeners who are not musicians who don’t "get lost" so easily or need musicians to tell them "what’s going on".

Now, you can choose to get indignant and we can, once again, get into some bullshit sparring; or, you can choose to be a little more gracious about a simple and well intended offer of a little knowledge related to a question asked by someone else (Rok) who apparently is interested in a bit of knowledge ("in the pocket"?). Your choice.

Btw, you probably think of Frank Wess as being a flute player because he was one of the very first to play and record jazz on the flute; firstly as a member of Count Basie’s orchestra. However, he was first and foremost a tenor player; and a great one at that. Great clip; thanks Acman3.
***** Best example of "in the pocket" that I can think of would be James Brown.  Imo.*****

Is this the "I feel good" James Brown?

The Frogman forays into Funk!!

Cheers

Frogman, Trane lost me in 63, and I'm still lost when he goes into zones known only by him. As I recall McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones were also lost, and if he could lose them, who am I?

No I'm not indignant, but apparently you are. Whether or not I soak up your bits of knowledge, I still appreciate them for those who feel they're being enlightened, and in the future I will refrain from commenting on them.

Not that it matters, but my selections are made on a purely subjective basis. No one can fathom the human mind; doctors may know about the brain, but the brain is only a storage place for the mind, and I choose to let this infinite computer tell me what I like and don't like; that's what "subjective" thinking is all about.

Let me repeat, "I still appreciate your musical wisdom, for those like Rok, and Acman who benefit from it".

The next artist I'm going to investigate is Horace Silver. Do to the fact that we didn't have computers, or "you tube" I can easily see how we bypassed music that would have been very important to our collections; I've added three albums by Byrd, when I Thought I had everything by him worth having. Who knows how many I'll add by Horace Silver after we investigate his music.

Did you like the way we investigated Donald Byrd's music?

Enjoy the music.

O-10:

We all know that you do not want to know anything about anything. What we don't know is why you are so ADAMANT about telling us this at every opportunity.

We get it.

Cheers