Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
A quick follow up to my comments re Wynton's jazz playing, albeit a very personal one subject to one's interpretation and usage of words: he often causes me to think (feel): WOW! Seldom, to say: AAH! (as in: aah! I get it, I hear what you're trying to say). However, when he speaks, and as Learsfool points out. and Rok has been saying, there is probably no better teacher. That does a great deal for the preservation of the art form, and to that extent I will concede, does a lot to promote the evolution of jazz. But, again, as a stylist, he is very derivative; unlike Miles, Shaw, Clifford, Morgan, and other greats. Those are the players that make me want to listen to their stories. But, man, can Wynton play the trumpet; amazing!
Great post Learsfool. Except for your comments about my attitude, of course. But who is perfect among us?

If you don't know what to say or do, the Lord will always show the way.,

While watching the tennis matches last night, I was glancing thru the lastest copy of Gramophone. They have an ongoing article where prominent people in the Arts talk about their experiences with music and list music they could not live without.

This man is the director of a Museum in Oxford, England. His opening paragraph was this:

" In the matter of music, I am a true amateur. I love music, and it is in both the foreground and background of much of my life, but I do not read it(something I have always imagined for my retirement) or play an instrument (ditto). I simply get great pleasure and solace from music, "

Well said, and applies to the vast majority of music lovers.

Btw, the music he could not live without was:
MAHLER: 'Das Lied von der Erde' Vienna / Bruno Walter
One of my earliest classical purchases, but by Berlin / Giulini

Cheers

Frogman, where is the retraction?
Recent Listens:

Ron Carter & Jim Hall -- TELEPHONE

Jimmy Smith -- BACK TO THE CHICKEN SHACK

Wynton Marsalis -- THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF WYNTON MARSALIS

Freddie Hubbard -- READY FOR FREDDIE

Got Pleasure and Solace from them all. Carter and Hall was the surprise. Didn't think that combination of instruments in duet would work. It did!

Cheers

Acman3, you are an "Audiophile", this hobby is an important part of your life, and the music being discussed is also important to you. This might be the only thread where people who like the same music as you, are discussing it.

When you go to the record store, who do you go there to please? Eliminate the negative, and accentuate the positive.

Enjoy the music.

Accept everyone as they are; Rok is Rok, neither we nor Rok can change that, we just have to accept Rok as he is. Rok, don't change a hair for me, not if you care for me.

Enjoy the music.