Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** There will always be people with a different opinion than you. Some are just haters and others just get off on different music. ******

Acman3 gave me similar advice following the infamous "Bey Sisters" episode.   Those wonderful, harmonious, swinging, song birds of Jazz.   Unjustly Trashed by the entire thread.  Not one of 'aficionados' finer moments. But I didn't take it personally, it's just Jazz.

I still get my weekly 'Bey Sister' fix.

Cheers
I think one of the biggest issues in these disputes, and one which applies to the music itself in a big way, is the absence of nuance. Iow, we tend to deal with descriptions of likes, dislikes, players’ styles, etc. in very wide gradations; instead of recognizing that there can be far more levels between simple "like" and "dislike", "good" and "bad"; and, certainly between "very good" and "one of the best". Example: I don’t recall anyone "trashing" the Bey Sisters. Not particularly like, yes; but, "trash"?

Excellent advise to not take it personally.
Frogman, of course that I dont mind or take pesonally some of your critics or opinions about some players or their playing.
In fact, I am always intersted to learn something new, I know that that is a hard task without proper musical education, but still I can try.
As for the trumpet player, it is Dave Burns, and yes, we have mentioned him before, more or less with same words, yours I mean.

No comments for Clifford Browns clips? Everybody are familiar with those albums?

"Some of his best recordings remained unissued until the Eighties, and were then only available in Japan in limited quanties."

Frogman stated;
Grant Green's "His Majesty King Funk" was, in fact, released the same year that it was recorded (on lp of course). This was the same time period that George Benson was making quite a name for himself with Brother Jack McDuff and his own "Cookbook". It's a good record and as Alex points out has some catchy tunes.

The "Verve" cd release date had nothing to do with the "Blue Note" records. We were discussing the "release" of the "Blue Note" records, and because I quoted notes on that CD you say it's related. You stated the "Verve" CD was released in the same year; what's the connection?

Acmans post
The Grant Green Mosaic box set with Sonny Clark is one of the releases that mostly came from Japan. It is highly regarded.

frogman
2,650 posts
04-17-2016 9:03am
Well said, Acman3.

If you agree with Acman, are you saying Grant Greens Mosaic box set should be well regarded, Frogman? or what are you saying? What did you mean when you made that statement?

Qdrone, could you name the stuff to avoid, I would like to buy it.
qdrone
799 posts
01-23-2011 1:29pm
Anything that says never released or only released in Japan. Or in box sets where you have newly discovered tracks (Mosiac has one or two sets with Green) I actualy posted for everyone to understand the times these recordings were made,heroin was problem among many musicians,I'm sorry that your so full of yourself that you thought i was just responding to you.

Since "Qdrone's post was directed at me personally, do you agree with his post? It's very difficult to follow where you're coming from, and what it is you're trying to say.

Could you compact and simplify; meaning say where you're coming from in fewer words.

Enjoy the music.