Power Cord Length

Here's one for the electric wizards to kick around. Whilst attending Axpona this weekend I was doing some power cord shopping. At one particular display I was being told by a very well known cable company representative, I'll not mention the name so it doesn't influence any responses, that the rule of thumb is that in order for the pwr cord to be effective it needs to be at least five feet long. This allows the current to be in the cord long enough for it to be effective. Ok, I'm really dumb when it comes to this sort of thing so maybe I said that in the most simpliest of words but that's pretty much how it was explained. Anyone care to elaborate on this good or bad?
jackcoke
Ok, so keeping with what usually happens here (which is what made me go away for so long) my simple question which was directed to those that actually knew something about electricity ended up being answered mostly by guesses, personal opinions, advice on how to buy cords and another debate as to wether aftermarket cords and cables are better then the stock cords. I don't remeber asking for any of that.  I just thought somebody could explain why this company rep said what he said, other then to just make you spend more money on a longer cord. So you can all sleep easier tonight, the company was Nordost. Also, as long as it was started up again, anyone that doesn't believe that cords and cables don't make a difference, get a different hobby.  
   For those of you that tried to give an answer with some merit, I thank you.. 

Just as well you didn’t mention their name.

Quote from their site:

"What minimum cable lengths do Nordost recommend?

The minimum recommended lengths of Nordost cables are as follows:
Power cables – 2 meters
Analog interconnects – 1 meter
Digital interconnects – 1.5 meters
Tonearm cables – 1.25 meters
Loudspeaker cables – 2 meters"

End of quote.

Why? Because they say so, that’s why!
http://www.nordost.com/faqs.php

I could not find any white papers backing up their claims.

At least Shunyata takes the time to explain the theories behind their claims as well as actually tests. Pictures and graphs too!

Ahem. "I just thought somebody could explain why this company rep said what he said, other then to just make you spend more money on a longer cord." I believe you answered your own question quite well enough. There is no reliable, double-blind, independent research *that I am aware of* that clearly shows any significant difference among reasonably well constructed power cords. What HAS been clearly and significantly demonstrated, repeatedly, over the years is the placebo effect. If you *think* it will sound better, it *will* sound better, at least to you, and for the ridiculous money it bloody well ought to! A little confirmation bias helps one along, too.

Well, good luck. For me, just spending money is NOT a hobby. I’ve rather better places for it.
Jim (Jea48), thanks for providing the Nordost quote and link. I’d have to say that those recommendations don’t say anything positive about their credibility as a cable manufacturer, as far as I am concerned. In addition to the lack of supporting rationale, the recommendations for analog interconnects, tonearm cables, and speaker cables are one size fits all recommendations that make no sense IMO.

The degree of virtually all explainable effects of line-level analog interconnects and speaker cables (including those whose audible significance is debatable or doubtful) is directly proportional to length. That would include the effects of resistance, inductance, capacitance, skin effect, proximity effect, dielectric absorption, and propagation delay, among several others that could be cited. Therefore if the goal is for those types of cables to behave in as neutral and uncolored a manner as possible, the shorter they are the better. In fact an advantage of monoblock power amps that is often cited is that they make the use of very short speaker cables practicable, thereby minimizing their effects.

The only effects of line-level analog interconnects and speaker cables I can think of that would not be directly proportional to length would be antenna effects, that could conceivably result under some circumstances in audibly significant pickup or radiation of RFI/EMI. But even in that case it would seem expectable that the shorter the cable is the better.

And when it comes to tonearm cables, their one size fits all recommendation ignores differences between moving magnet cartridges (for which the sum of cable capacitance, phono stage input capacitance, and tonearm wiring capacitance should conform to the recommendation of the manufacturer of the particular cartridge), and low output moving coil cartridges (for which minimization of capacitance is generally desirable, but the significance of which is highly dependent on the particular phono stage and the particular cartridge).

I’ll give them some credit, though, for the 1.5 meter digital cable recommendation, which as you are aware has been well explained technically, and well documented anecdotally. Although even that recommendation will in many cases not be optimal (that possibility also having been well documented anecdotally). 1.5 meters should be thought of as having the best odds of being optimal (unless a very short length is practicable, such as 6 or 8 inches), but there will be a significant number of cases in which 1 meter or some other length will prove to be a better choice, as the optimal length depends on many unknown and unpredictable component and cable dependent variables. The risetimes and falltimes of the signal provided by the component which drives the cable being one very significant variable, that is almost always unspecified and unknown. Numerous other variables that affect what length will be optimal could also be cited.

Regards,
-- Al

Almarg wrote,

" I’d have to say that those recommendations don’t say anything positive about their credibility as a cable manufacturer, as far as I am concerned. In addition to the lack of supporting rationale, the recommendations for analog interconnects, tonearm cables, and speaker cables are one size fits all recommendations that make no sense IMO."

I hate to judge too harshly but it would appear the high end audio community, I.e., the high end shows, the reviewers, the magazines that publish Class A components and the audiophiles themselves disagree with your assessment as Nordost has been at or near the top of the pecking order for quite some time. What is it, 25 years? You would be wise to audio Nordost Valhalla cables. 

Cheers

geoff kait