Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I asked Learsfool what did he think of Andre Previn as a classical musician, and he hadn't heard any classical music by Previn; I looked but failed, and I responded.

I have jazz by Andre Previn, and I tried to find some classical music by him, but this is all I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwEuR2TtW5c

Maybe you could find some classical music by him and paste it so we can hear it. Or any classical you like best.

learsfool
1,167 posts
03-20-2016 1:45am
Orpheus, in the classical world, Andre Previn is mainly known as a conductor, though he did write a few pieces. He also wrote a few film scores. I don't think I have ever even heard any of his classical compositions, let alone played them. Certainly they are not performed very often, especially if he is not conducting them. His recordings I have heard where he is a conductor did not particularly impress me. Not saying they are not good, just that there are much better conductors.

Learsfool, this is the classical Andre Previn; could you give a critique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvU5OGdVFNc

Enjoy the music.

Frogman chimed in a conversation that didn't involve him one way or the other, and this is what he said;

frogman
2,654 posts
03-20-2016 9:08am
I would add that the posted Previn link is not "classical" music at all. It is Previn playing a twelve bar blues with orchestra sweetening. Previn is a wonderful musician, but this is pretty bland stuff; taking into account the differences in genres, no better than what one hears from Kenny G in an elevator. Just because it is played by an orchestra does not make it
"classical". O-10, what do you think of this?:

Now why would I think "Like Young", my favorite piece by Andre Previn since 1959, to be classical music?

Frogman, I never said it was classical, I would have to be a MOWRON to think that was classical music. I stated this was all I could find by Previn , and I asked Learsfool to find some classical music.

remember that word that you used, with unfounded indignation, describing what you thought I (and another esteemed aficionado who I will not include in this bs) felt that you were? You know.....that word that rhymes with "boron"? I am saddened to have to report that I believe you were correct in using that word.

Now Frogman is saying that "Learsfool", that's the esteemed aficionado he's referring to, thought I was a MOWRON. Learsfool never made any such statement in a conversation that Frogman had no business commenting on what so ever; the conversation was between Learsfool and I.

Enjoy the Frogman.

In addition to "Like Young" by Andre Previn, he played some real hip "West Coast" jazz. I suppose you have to get in a laid back west coast groove with a glass of wine to dig Andre; his music is what was happening in LA in the late 50's, "Beatniks" were in; he even did the soundtrack for a movie titled "The Subteraneans"; here's "Jeru", as Miles called him, and Art Farmer with music from that movie. The man plays some real hip piano, but not everybody can dig it; that's the way it is with all things that are truly hip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puUeyUAX3Is

Jeru's baritone is one hip sounding sax, but not everybody can dig it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo537jPaFPc

Enjoy the music

"It is Previn playing a twelve bar blues with orchestra sweetening. Previn is a wonderful musician, but this is pretty bland stuff; taking into account the differences in genres, no better than what one hears from Kenny G in an elevator."

That's what Frogman had to say about "Like Young" by Andre Previn. One of us is "Phaking the Phunk", and it might be me; but it's for sure one of us is Phaking the Phunk".   According to my evaluation "Like Young" is boss, and here are some other people who think so as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZxvAG5wHg

Ella Fitzgerald doesn't think "Like Young" is elevator music.

Linda Lawson doesn't think "Like Young" is elevator music; it jump started her career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA81pRYtEXc

Now it's either me or Frogman is "Phaking the Phunk"; one of us is not a true jazz "aficionado".  

Enjoy the music.

Aficionados, feel free to weigh in on this controversy; that's the only way it will be resolved; when I say "aficionados", I don't mean the peanut gallery, but those who have contributed to this thread.

From my point of view, Frogman has been on a mission lately, and the evidence is quite blatant; but since Frogman is a musician, and you value a musicians input over a sincere and honest evaluation of the music, I have no problem with that; but to put this in the vernacular of the West "This town ain't big enough for the both of us", Frogman has made that quite apparent.

Disregard the fact that I started this thread because it can't function without you; unfortunately you have to make an ugly decision for the thread to continue.

Enjoy the music.