Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

This is what "Grant Green" was playing the last time I saw him live at the club in St. Louis; he appeared to be in good health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvQhQbPioY

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Live at The Lighthouse is a live album by American jazz guitarist Grant Green featuring a performance recorded at the Lighthouse Club in Hermosa Beach, California in 1972 and released on the Blue Note label.

Enjoy the music.

To whom it may concern:

If this was a thread about basketball, and there was a real current NBA player participating in the discussions, why would you say his input was not welcomed?

Would not his take and opinion of other NBA players, and all things basketball,  be more valid than the fans, who can't play, and  just watch on TV?

Let's stick with the music, before this goes too far.

Cheers
Today's Listen:

Horace Silver -- DOIN' THE THING

I guess we could say that 'Filthy McNasty' was the 'hit' tune, but I like 'The Gringo' also, which Silver says is in the 'Latin Vein'. :)

Blue Mitchell on Trumpet.  Junior Cook on Tenor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WBgoXsKZX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYtZa2XrDQ

Cheers

Let me repeat, "I still appreciate your musical wisdom, for those like Rok, and Acman who benefit from it".

This is what Rok posted right after that;

O-10:

We all know that you do not want to know anything about anything. What we don't know is why you are so ADAMANT about telling us this at every opportunity.

We get it.

I would be a triple MOWRON, if allowed anyone to tell me what I should learn! Especially after I invited their words of wisdom for others who have this desire to learn, not once, but twice.

Enjoy the music.

Hi Orpheus - 

First, you seem convinced that I was the person Frogman referred to in that post - I am not at all sure.  There could be a few others.  

Second - you had asked me to respond to the video you posted of Andre Previn performing and conducting  a Mozart Concerto with the Royal Philharmonic.  This is what I belatedly responded to last night.  I had no idea you wanted a comment from me on the other thing, which I did not listen to.  I can go back and find it if you like.  

As I said before - your "controversy" is in your head alone.  I take everyone else's silence on the subject so far to mean that they probably agree.  

I did not offer to teach you anything (in my last couple of posts, anyway, and I certainly will not in future, either).  My intention was merely to try to explain why musicians and music lovers who have educated themselves about music do not and cannot take some of what you say about music seriously (because you proudly proclaim your ignorance of it).  I do not think this is unreasonable - I am truly sorry if this offends you, but this is your communication problem - not mine.  I personally don't think you can have a real  complaint when people don't understand a point you are trying to make about music because it doesn't make any real sense, but hey, that's your right if you want to be that way, and you refuse to learn some musical sense.  Everyone who does have musical sense sees right through it.  As I said before, I will speak up for the sake of others who read these forums when something is posted here about music that is clearly wrong.   And that's my right.  I am not going to argue with you about it - that is impossible, for reasons which have already been said.   If you really want me to exit the thread again, however, I will.  

And by the way, I did post here about my favorite jazz albums, years ago when you first started this thread.  I could easily add to that post if you wish, but I don't see much  point if  you are just going to lash out like you have been lately.  Enjoy the music.