Beware of PayPal fees

I live in Israel. I have recently purchased an audio item from Europe. I agreed with the seller that I would pay his PayPal fees. When I checked initially about the fees I read something like 3.4%. To my astonishment they charged him (me) 5.2% with all sorts of extra fees. Beware!      
taviran
I don't buy or sell outside of the continental U.S..

PayPal has worked for me.  Yes the fees are an annoyance, but I like the safety it brings to the transaction.
Paypal charges me like 3.2% now.

I usually offer buyers 2 options. Friend and family, no fee. 5%-10% more if they want to use the good&services options (to compensate for the risk).
sun-warrior2 posts04-26-2016 7:45pmAside from extra fees due to currency conversion with international sales, PayPal in the U.S. is very simple with a fee of 2.9% of the transaction plus 30 cents.

Now whether or not that's worth it is for each person to decide. But it's a straightforward business transaction and is only a "ripoff" if you don't know the specifics.

Use PayPal or don't use it, either is a valid choice. Just know (aka, research) what you're getting into ahead of time.
+1

it's PayPal fault you don't know the rules.   Give me a break!
Post removed 
Mr. Coli,

You write that PayPal charges you "like 3.2%" so where do you live? What nation? Perhaps the fee per transaction outside the U.S. is higher?

Or is the word "like" in your sentence your shorthand for saying you haven’t fully done the maths?

Dave, who surely also wishes PayPal fees were less but also wishes the least-expensive Aurender music server would cost only $650