Hype, Hyperbole and high price!

Okay, I understand that this site has to make money by having advertisers, but cheese and crackers, the claims that are made are just laughable if not down right criminal!  Before I attended an engineering university I too was duped into buying expensive wires and such.  Now, armed with an engineering and physics background, I can see through the BS claims made.  I try and not let it get in the way of my enjoyment of good quality stereo equipment, but when a salesman tries to sell me something based on testimonials, hype and hyperbole, I tell him politely my background and then ask him a series of questions which leaves him dumbfounded. 

Such crap as directional wires - (I used to work for both Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman) and trust me, if we had to test the miles of wires for directionality in every piece of equipment built...well you get the gist.

I have friends that are audio snobs and although they argue with me (Basically buyer's remorse) they know that what I say is true and end the conversation.  Oh well, I suppose I will continue to get a headache when I read said claims.

Sigh!
128x128kenny928
Al - BRAVO!! 
jperry - I have the opportunity to get cables well below their MSRP, I tend to buy equipment used so as not to take the depreciation hit.  Believe me, I have had some pretty pricey setups in the past, all obtained used.  For my aged ears the three best preamps I had were, the First Sound Presence MK3 (paid 500), should have kept that, the MBL 6010 ($950) and still have and the Meridian 600 series, just found one again.  I have 6 pairs of speakers, 2 pairs for the tube set up, one folded horn and the classic Klipsch and the remaining for solid state which I switch depending on the type of music I am in the mood for.  Jazz, classical, Celtic, etc. 
Mazur, Despite my initial tongue in cheek comment to kenny928 I completely agree with him about prices and the claims that some make. Sorry the humor was lost on you. People take the littlest things way too seriously. I sincerely wish that all I had to worry about in life was the cost of audio cables, unfortunately I have much more meaningful things to worry about. 
ebm - Far from it!  System one, main listening area:
MBL 6010
ML 331
ML 35.1 transport (Horse traded for this one)
Meridian 566 dac
Sonus Faber Olympica

Tubes
VTL ST-125
Axiom ll passive pre
Kenny928, I think you led us all a bit astray as earlier on you stated there was no difference between $6K dollar cables and $200 dollar cables and here you are happy to get a very pricey pair below cost.

Again, I'll agree with you that some cable are overpriced but if it's a matter of what you can afford and knowing there's better out there at a dearer cost, then there's really nothing to complain about.

Except the cost and not the performance, which comes at a cost. :-)

All the best,
Nonoise