Hype, Hyperbole and high price!

Okay, I understand that this site has to make money by having advertisers, but cheese and crackers, the claims that are made are just laughable if not down right criminal!  Before I attended an engineering university I too was duped into buying expensive wires and such.  Now, armed with an engineering and physics background, I can see through the BS claims made.  I try and not let it get in the way of my enjoyment of good quality stereo equipment, but when a salesman tries to sell me something based on testimonials, hype and hyperbole, I tell him politely my background and then ask him a series of questions which leaves him dumbfounded. 

Such crap as directional wires - (I used to work for both Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman) and trust me, if we had to test the miles of wires for directionality in every piece of equipment built...well you get the gist.

I have friends that are audio snobs and although they argue with me (Basically buyer's remorse) they know that what I say is true and end the conversation.  Oh well, I suppose I will continue to get a headache when I read said claims.

Sigh!
128x128kenny928
Mazur, Despite my initial tongue in cheek comment to kenny928 I completely agree with him about prices and the claims that some make. Sorry the humor was lost on you. People take the littlest things way too seriously. I sincerely wish that all I had to worry about in life was the cost of audio cables, unfortunately I have much more meaningful things to worry about. 
ebm - Far from it!  System one, main listening area:
MBL 6010
ML 331
ML 35.1 transport (Horse traded for this one)
Meridian 566 dac
Sonus Faber Olympica

Tubes
VTL ST-125
Axiom ll passive pre
Kenny928, I think you led us all a bit astray as earlier on you stated there was no difference between $6K dollar cables and $200 dollar cables and here you are happy to get a very pricey pair below cost.

Again, I'll agree with you that some cable are overpriced but if it's a matter of what you can afford and knowing there's better out there at a dearer cost, then there's really nothing to complain about.

Except the cost and not the performance, which comes at a cost. :-)

All the best,
Nonoise
Geez Kenny,
Why do some people feel they need a BMW M5 to get to work when a Kia Sportage will get them there just as easily? It's a marketplace. If  people want to spend thousands of dollars on speaker cables then for cripes sake let them! Are they better? Who cares? They think they are. Just because I can prove that a Kia Sportage from an engineering standpoint can get you to work the same as a BMW M5 doesn't mean there isn't a market for the M5! And whose standard are we to live by? I get tired of those who put down audiophiles based on "engineering principles". Do your research, find what works for you and go with what you can afford. It doesn't mean any one of us is right or wrong. Hopefully we're happy with our system and that's all that's required. BTW, why are you using Nordost  cables when you can get them much cheaper from Radio Shack? 
nonoise - I tried a slew of cables for free just to see what the hype was about.  Some were better than others and some were offered to me at a sweet deal because he could not get rid of them or were demo samples.  Some I passed on others I took.  I did perform a comparison with pairs and found little if any difference between some.  Example: Kimber 8TC v. Transparent Audio reference.  Old ears, maybe, but the Kimber was easy on the ears for some reason.  Also constructed my own braided pair which I still use and they sound really nice.  I am always experimenting with different equipment.  That's the fun about this hobby.  Unfortunately, this industry is akin to that of the computer industry, what's hot toady is not tomorrow.  Remember the future proof components of years past?