Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I know one thing for sure, you guys have certainly had enough practice in taking the word "practice" totally out of context, and you seem to have rehearsed this part.

Jzzmusician and I seem to be on the same page, now that he knows the proper context of the word "practice", yet you include him in your "charade". We all know a classical musician could not improvise if his life depended on it.

Rok, I think Harvey is a good name. Since that was the best summer I ever had (except for the surgery) in my life. I enjoy reminiscing about it. That same Summer before Harvey moved in, I met a beautiful lady at the lounge that served fantastic food, where Eddie Fisher played; how's that for a full house, plus she liked jazz as much as I did.

Enjoy the music.
****We all know a classical musician could not improvise if his life depended on it.****

Wrong again, O-10.  Improvisation is genre-blind and not necessarily unique to jazz; although much more important in jazz, obviously.

What would you and Learsfool do if I never posted?  You two are beginning to remind me of those guys in the doo wop groups where they sing and move in unison; I'll have to think of a befitting name for the dynamic duo; how about Clazzical and Jazzical the new musical sensation.

This is what the ever creative Donald Byrd was doing in 1960, I think that's close enough; it's close enough for me anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4979B9E391FF8C6B

This is Byrd in flight.

Although this began as a "rukus" over Grant Greens music that wasn't released, or was released in Japan, it has produced a lot of very good jazz that most of us were unaware of. "Byrd In Flight" is another CD that belongs in my collection.

The best thing about albums in this time period is there were very few weak cuts, you got an album full of music.

Enjoy the music.
Byrd In Flight:

Included in the Definitive Classic BN Collection.   

Cheers