Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Jafant, Coltrane has a list of better than first class recordings longer than my arm.

Enjoy the music.

Ghosthouse, it takes a long list of very good recordings over a period of years for an artist to be considered a good jazz musician, but if an artist is not even being considered, yet has two good recordings, I want those two good recordings. Case in point "Sugarcane Harris", I never heard his name before, but I'm presently enjoying his music, thanks to you.

Enjoy the music.

Acman, "Free Jazz", should be free; I'm sure I wouldn't think that way if I was on the set feeling all the vibes, but since I'm not.....

Chicago Underground, was interesting; easy to listen to, I like the combination of instruments. I'll have to hear more in order to form an opinion, but they're off to a good start.

Enjoy the music.
****Frogman's leading this parade****

I am?  I thought O-10 was, since he brought up the topic.  Lead?  Too scary, given recent history here 😬.  But, hey, somebody has to do it.  

I already expressed my opinion that a chronological perspective is key; that will be the focus of my "lead".  Why?  Again, because if we are going to get "in depth", I believe it's necessary in order to get a handle on what exactly "fusion" is and to avoid blurring the lines between it and what is doen mistakenly referred to as fusion, but is actually the sub-genre "smooth-jazz" which in my humble opinion is mostly a bunch of insipid dreck.  If we are just going to post a bunch of examples of fusion that we each like with no "method", then I will have to surrender the mantle of leader to Rok 😉.

"Fusion", in the loosest sense, is the combining of any two or more genres.  However, we should stick to fusion that has its roots in jazz, otherwise this discussion will be all over the place.  Example: Chick Corea's "Return To Forever" is a great example of fusion; Santana's "Abraxas" is not, it is a rock recording with Latin flavor as part of the recipe.  The hallmarks of good jazz, very high level of craft, emphasis on improvisation, and strong compositional values are not there; these are the things that define good fusion.  It is no coincidence that many of the trailblazers of the fusion movement were Miles Davis alumni; yet another example of why Miles is considered one of the greatest artists that ever lived.  Acman3 already posted a clip of Tony Williams' "Lifetime".  Tony Williams is a monster drummer and his playing on Miles' classic 60s quintet recordings which didn't have any obvious "fusion" leanings give hints of where his head was at and where he would eventually go as a player.  His album recording of the music that Aman3 posted was recorded just a few months before Miles' "Bitches Brew":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxeiY5kXz8Y

In 1971, guitarist John McLaughlin who played on "Bitches a Brew" and in Tony Williams' "Lifetime" would record this along with drummer Billy Cobham on drums who would go on to record his own classic Fusion recors as a leader:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLGwOiqHPWpWbhNB5g-OEcyrXy3voSP8ya&v=boOu0L45M44

That same year the great Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinal would co-lead and release Weather Report's debut album and turn the Jazz world on its head.  Probably the most important band in the genre:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLiXS2f7h4Agp1atJsGwIoPIZ4Sf0LYfbd&v=lve3au9opGM