Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@frogman
As requested..
A link to Andy’s very good "Earth + Sky". Unfortunately not the entire album - something of a playlist mix - but you can tell the tracks that are from E+S by the album cover. I hold Andy’s post-Police solo work in high regard. Piece by piece collecting a good bit of that portion of his ’oeuvre’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28plEPacLZs&list=PL8F0DF9DDF60D2980

Unlike Green Chimneys and Peggy’s Blue Skylight, that are interpretations of music by Monk and Mingus, respectively, the compositions on E+S are Summers own.

By the way, I certainly agree with your favorable opinion of the ECM label...as you say, interesting music and typically very well recorded - great sonics. My first experience with ECM was a Ralph Towner LP I borrowed from the local library years ago. Knew nothing about him or the label at the time. Fortuitous. My buying habits lean mainly to CDs but I enjoy looking for good condition, used ECM vinyl.

Hope you enjoy Earth + Sky.

I never knew the political chain of RESPONSIBILITY ran directly from the 9th ward to the white House.

Now, we all know the local politicians were stupid, criminal and totally incompetent.  But, the locals knew that when they voted them in office.  They were good at being liberal pawns and good for blasting conservatives on TV, and fooling the poor folks in New Orleans into thinking they were working for them,  but totally useless in a crisis.

Where were the cops and the firemen and the local emergency personnel. Right, It was every man for himself.  It was, and is, a very CORRUPT city.

Who told all these people to go to the Super-dome?   What provisions were made there?  Why weren't they evacuated before the storm hit?   Where was the Governor and the Louisiana National Guard?   Natural disasters are right up their alley.

Katrina didn't just fall out of the sky one clear and beautiful day.  Everyone had plenty of warning.  Every forecast listed New Orleans as a possible target.  What did the local 'leaders' do to prepare?   They put ten school buses on 'standby'!!!!  You may now laugh or cry.

Some real facts:
New Orleans is still 10 feet below sea level.
The Gulf Of Mexico is still there
Hurricanes still form every year
Katrina made landfall in Mississippi as a cat 3 storm, it just slapped New Orleans on the way to Mississippi.

If a cat 5 storm hits New Orleans head on, there will be no more New Orleans.  When that happens, all the locals can do is hope a Republican is in the White House, so they will have someone to blame.

BTW, It seems as if Local politics have taken a new direction since the people realized how they were played.  Good For Them.

Cheers

Rok your first allegiance is to the Constitution of the United States, not to some criminal politicians in high price suits in Washington who no more respect the constitution than they do you and me. While crack addicts, and heroin addicts are addicted to dope, those politicians are addicted to MONEY, and whether you believe it or not "freeway Rickey" would be free if he had paid his dues to the people he was suppose to pay them to, and that's just a grain of sand on a huge mountain.

Who paid for Scott AFB and every plane on it? Who paid for the USS Bataan? Who Paid your salary while you were in the military? How much benefit did those citizens of New Orleans get out of the taxes they paid, and their ancestors paid. Those people paid for the USS Bataan, and they were entitled to benefit from it's use, as well as everything else that belongs to "Citizens of the United States of America"

The people where the Tsunami hit were not even citizens of this country; what entitled them to the benefits they received? Rok, your allegiance is not to criminals in expensive suits but to the United States Constitution.

This country as you believe it to be, has not existed since Charley Chan was a government officer. (Frogman, I know Charley Chan is fiction, but the fact that government agencies functioned like they were suppose to function is the point I'm trying to get across, please don't post that "Charley Chan is fiction)

I, Rok_____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Think about the oath of allegiance and what is the first thing you defend.

Don’t worry, I am well aware that CC was fiction. Besides, your statement contains other far more important fiction to comment on. I’m staying out of this one for now, so please leave me out of it. For the time being, I’d much rather post about fusion than fiction; 1975 is burning a whole in my iPad ☺️

Frogman, you can not throw a rock, and say you want to avoid a fight; please point out the fiction in what I said, because I believed every word to be the gospel truth, or I would not have said it.

Enjoy the music.