Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok your first allegiance is to the Constitution of the United States, not to some criminal politicians in high price suits in Washington who no more respect the constitution than they do you and me. While crack addicts, and heroin addicts are addicted to dope, those politicians are addicted to MONEY, and whether you believe it or not "freeway Rickey" would be free if he had paid his dues to the people he was suppose to pay them to, and that's just a grain of sand on a huge mountain.

Who paid for Scott AFB and every plane on it? Who paid for the USS Bataan? Who Paid your salary while you were in the military? How much benefit did those citizens of New Orleans get out of the taxes they paid, and their ancestors paid. Those people paid for the USS Bataan, and they were entitled to benefit from it's use, as well as everything else that belongs to "Citizens of the United States of America"

The people where the Tsunami hit were not even citizens of this country; what entitled them to the benefits they received? Rok, your allegiance is not to criminals in expensive suits but to the United States Constitution.

This country as you believe it to be, has not existed since Charley Chan was a government officer. (Frogman, I know Charley Chan is fiction, but the fact that government agencies functioned like they were suppose to function is the point I'm trying to get across, please don't post that "Charley Chan is fiction)

I, Rok_____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Think about the oath of allegiance and what is the first thing you defend.

Don’t worry, I am well aware that CC was fiction. Besides, your statement contains other far more important fiction to comment on. I’m staying out of this one for now, so please leave me out of it. For the time being, I’d much rather post about fusion than fiction; 1975 is burning a whole in my iPad ☺️

Frogman, you can not throw a rock, and say you want to avoid a fight; please point out the fiction in what I said, because I believed every word to be the gospel truth, or I would not have said it.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, I have no doubt that you believe every word and that you would not have said it otherwise.  I keep hoping that you will understand that it is always you that throws the first rock.  Try not throwing the first rock and you'll see how nicely everyone can get along.  😘

1975:

Fusion being what it is highlights what I think can be a subtle but still important distinction between the players: those that came to fusion mainly from the rock side of things and those that came to it from the jazz side.  To my ears Jeff Beck, besides being a rock guitar God, is the most credible in fusion of all the other rock players who went to the genre.  Amazing player with a very wide range of expression and what a tone!  Classic record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLkCed3Lm7kme8h_-86GoEsZMNGV3bDxVh&v=LzJ2WA-ubMM

The Brecker Brothers release their debut album as a band.  Consummate musicians who would be very influential in the evolution of the playing styles on their respective instruments.  Coltrane inspired tenor playing and Miles infused electric trumpet playing in very interesting compositions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MX3YpPpBydE

The next two records and two of my favorites from 1975 demonstrate how the lines between jazz and fusion, attempts at designation in general, can get blurred.  I'm really torn about what to call them, besides simply really good music.  I think they are unequivocally jazz, but also capture the spirit of the new genre: 

Pat Metheny releases his debut solo record with the great Jaco Pastorius on electric bass:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eciUMTPmzm0

One of of my favorite unsung trumpet players:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hSAeK1zJOfc