Herron VTPH-2

So I recently performed some tweaks on my analog system such as cartridge alignment, VTA, and adding some Rega white belts to my Rega P7 TT and all of these made slight improvements. However what really made me hear the difference was my Herron VTPH-2 phono stage, hence why I made the tweaks. It has about one month on it and it has slowly opened up to now where the music is transparently intimate especially with good recordings. What I love about this phono stage is that it allows me to hear the music differently, allowing subtle notes in the background that I have heard before become a little more alive. So I am not hearing new things but hearing them differently for the better as well as the main instrumentation. So high ratings go to Keith and this phono stage especially at the price point.  

shanticat
I've heard nothing better than the Herron and the et2 and Delos are a wicked combo as well. I have those on a tnt. The odd time that bit of sweetness on the Delos annoys me a touch tho. I think the cart is the weak link there. 
It's just my nature to want to understand "why".  I am well aware that this unit has its diehard devotees, and I do respect the love affair.  But can anyone communicate why technically this unit should be so exceptional?  There are oodles of phono stages that use 12AX7s and 12AT7s, and many of them are excellent indeed, but why would the Herron be so special?  The power supply is on-board, which has its pluses and minuses, and does not look to be superior to most in its topology.  (Is it choke-loaded, for example?) Inquiring minds, especially those who might purchase the product, want to know. The Herron website, apart from affording some photos, is not very informative on circuit design, parts used, etc. Thanks, and please don't take this as a negative.
I myself don't know Lew, but I do know he worked on it for years, trying different RIAA circuits and gain topologies, before calling it "finished" and offering it for sale. If he has some spare time, I'll bet he wouldn't mind telling you all about it in a phone call. But don't quote me!
Hi Lew,

As someone who is also desirous of having an understanding of the "why" of things, I believe I can identify precisely the technical factor that is responsible for the excellence of the VTPH-2, that sets it apart from the competition:  It was designed and developed by Keith Herron :-)

As I and others have said here many times in the past, what usually matters most is how well a chosen design approach is implemented, and not which approach is chosen.  And when it comes to good implementation, the devil is in the details.

Best regards,
-- Al

As a matter of fact, Al, if YOU like the thing, that alone raises it up in my estimation.  And I quite agree with you; I tend to buy the designer rather than the product, so long as the product passes my own personal smell test.  If you so respect Keith Herron, then that is a point on the positive side of the tally sheet.

A case in point is my vintage Quicksilver full function preamplifier.  I bought it originally because of reasonable cost as a used item, and a long standing "positive" vote of end users.  But at the time, I just wanted something to allow me to start to listen to my Beveridge 2SW speakers, in a second system where I wanted to keep costs down.  Mike Saunders seems to be a lot like Keith Herron in his open-ness and willingness to help his customers, even those using a product he made and sold 30 years ago.  So Mike sent me a schematic of both the PS and the audio circuit.  There are some things about the audio circuit, particularly the line stage section that would not fly today; he used NFB, for one thing. But this does result in a very low output impedance that actually is helpful because I am driving a solid stage electronic crossover which feeds a woofer amplifier AND the Beveridge amplifiers, which have a solid state input stage preceded by a high pass filter, in parallel.  After falling in love with the Bevs, I decided they merited a "better" preamplifier and took the Q out of service to be used as a spare. I was even going to sell it.  But for fun I replaced the RIAA capacitors with Russian SSG silver mica types and the output coupling capacitors with really good polystyrenes that I had lying around.  This made a huge improvement.  So did Telefunkens, and finally, once I saw where this was going, so did Vcap CuTfs as couplers between the two stages of the linestage.  I also replaced a few electrolytics that were showing their age, but I decided not to touch the basic topology, even though I was tempted to remove the NFB loop, on the premise that Mike Saunders knows what he is doing better than I do.  All of this made for great sound, superior to either of two preamplifiers that were purchased to supplant the Q.