Bookshelf speakers on a budget

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. However I'm on a budget in the $400-$500 range; I know this is a low dollar amount but it's all I can afford right now. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Thanks 
hfarrior3
You bet. Have fun learning, but in the end it's not difficult to put together a nice little system. My girlfriend's system:

2 Mission standmounts w/stands (used on Craigslist)

lepai 2020 t amp (Amazon)

bluetooth receiver (Amazon)

Cost was less $125 for everything.

Plugged the amp and Bluetooth receiver in behind a chair with volume at 50% and hooked up the speakers a few feet apart.

She's never seen the amp, etc. She plays Pandora and controls volume via Bluetooth from her phone- has it playing everyday.

Learn as you go and buy wisely. This hobby is as simple as her system or as complex and costly as a dedicated listening room with high dollar gear. It's up to you.

Hope you enjoy your new system,

gary
I found this review on the ELAC Debt 6 

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bookshelf-speakers/

He seemed to like them better than the Zensor 1's. 

Is this site pretty credible, seems like he put a lot of work into the review.
Probably so, the Elac is well thought of in general. It may be just what you need. I think I could use them and be pretty happy, personally. I have seen the Elac for sale used on here- unless you want the ability to return them.

However, they are not a 'ringer' for your tube amp, as Paraneer pointed out. (They may be fine.) I'd listen to them with a higher powered amp (50wpc or more) before committing to the tube amp purchase.

If you are in a good Craigslist area, look to see if there is anything locally for sale used. A nice seller may be willing to let you bring your speakers over for a demo. From time to time I see solid, older receivers for sale for $50-$100. Some have a phono input and remote.

May not be cutting edge, but you would be listening to music for around $300 or so.

Once you get things up and going you will start to develop some preferences and know better what you want and need. 

gary