Can I use a step up transformer?

Hi everyone :-) I am currently using a .3mv cartridge (Dynavector 20x2) with a phono pre amp (Manley chinook) that only has a 60db output for LOMC, I am not getting the gain I would like, I feel like I am at the boundries of over loading my tube linestage (Manley Jumbo Shrimp) with the volume at 3:00 o clock position.Would this kind of a device even help fix this issue? Where does it hook up?  Assuming it would.... And If you wanted to spend under $2000 for one, can you recommend one that should work well with my system?

Thanks

Matt M
128x128mattmiller
Dear Raul,
Basic means using the settings (and ranges) the phono preamp comes with. If you do not stop here but use perfect matching cart/step up combinations thus precisely align the two facing coils you may enter into a different musical experience.
Dear @thuchan : I understand your first sentence. Could you be more specific in your second part of your answer? what to do to " enter in that different musical experience?

Every day is a learning day and I think I'm missing something very important down there.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Dear Tuhchan, the reason of my reluctance to mess with SUT's

was Dertonarm's description of matching the impedance and

inductance of involved carts and SUT's. I own + 40 MC carts

with impendance variations from 2 Ohm till 48 Ohms. From the

pictures of your carts which you posted to me I think that you

own + 100 MC carts. How many SUT's do you own?

I own FR- FRT- 4 with 3, 10, 30 and 100 Ohm but also Denon

AU-S1 with 3> 40 Ohms. I prefer Denon which is more ''puristic''

made. No switsches and (many) soldering points between all

the wire but direct connection between transformers and input/

output connectors. This Denon obviously contradicts Dertonarm's

assertinon as well as your ''precisely align the two facing coils''.

Assuming that my guess about the number of your MC carts is

correct you should own at least 25 SUT's (grin).

I don't think you need to spend that much to get results. .check out Bob's device but before you do that i notice that you are using a McIntosh power amplifier. .i had a 7270 for a few years likedit a lot. Mine had a switch on the back to increase the gain.not sure if your model dose but if it is the case perhaps try that and see what results you get.best of luck.