Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdwolek
Have you tried different tubes in the VTL?  I use a McCormack DNA-0.5 Deluxe along with a BAT VK-3i and Merlin speakers.  I would not characterize the McCormack as bright in my system and my room but the tubes used in the BAT definitely make a difference.  The RAAL tweeter used by Salk is well-respected but it's known to be quite "transparent."  I suspect its interaction with your room is most of your problem.  It's also possible that the tweeter is revealing issues with the source material as it's not going to be very kind to bad recordings. Dick

Hi Dwolek,

Remember the Coda boys came from Pass/Threshold,  they have a similar flavor and Coda oem's for Sanders & others with some highly touted amps. 

Not steering you from Pass, but don't be afraid of the Coda.  Went back and looked at the posting that I mentioned.  It was posted by Coda,  I'd call Doug Dale at Coda,  he is very honest and will tell you straight.

Good luck,  Tim

There is a Coda CSX listed on US Audio Mart for $2600.  

Went back and looked at the posting that I mentioned. It was posted by Coda,
@timlub , actually that one for $2600 was NOT posted by CODA.
CODA has two ads on US Audiomart. One for a 07X preamplifier for $3600 and one for a TSX amp for $5200.

I did see that ad for the CSX on US Audiomart, and contacted Doug Dale to verify the age/condition. He actually had a newer, refurbished CSX that he sold me for only a couple hundred more, with a two year warranty.
I'm still waiting on delivery, but having owned a Model 10, 20, and 11 amps, and the FET01 and 02b preamps previously, I am very familiar with the CODA brand. One of the reasons I tend to gravitate back towards them. Great sound for a good price.

For the OP, Yes, resale can be difficult, because CODA does not market themselves well. People love to throw money at names like Krell, Levinson, Rowland, companies that throw big money at glossy rags.
This does make for easier resale, but realize that those advertising/marketing fees are passed along to the customer.
In other words, in my opinion, a $5K list price CODA competes very well with $8-$10K brand that pays  top dollar for the marketing/glossy rag coverage. 

Only you can decide if you want to pay the extra money needed to buy a piece of gear that is well marketed, so that resale is easier.