Stand-mount speaker recommendations

Greetings from Oregon,

I have recently switched from a little British system (Croft/Harbeth) to Van Alstine separates for amplification. The upgrade in clarity and power (300wpc) is significant, and my little Harbeth P3esrs are not quite enough to fill my living room (about 12x16 feet with an open end). I was sitting much closer to the speakers, but now I’m back about 8.5 feet. I’d like some additional bass weight and a larger sound.  I have had bad luck with rear-ported speakers becoming boomy as the wall behind the speakers is fairly flimsy apartment construction and resonates even with acoustic panels. So, ideally I’d like a front-ported (or sealed) stand mount speaker that goes down to 50-45hz. If it goes much below that it can overwhelm the room. I am very sensitive to etched treble, extreme detail, sibilance, etc. (hence my choice of the P3s.). Budget is $2500 but could stretch a little if needed.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

smrex13
Thanks for all the recommendations.  

Nonoise - I am really interested in the Duet 6 after reading your review.  Your listening room and set up is very similar to mine.  I'm still afraid that they might have too much bass.  I've exchanged a few emails with Jed, and I may give them an auditions since there's a trial period.  Will keep y'all posted.

Best, Scott
You might try to audition some Epos Elan 15s or Epic 2s. They can produce deeper bass than my MA Silver 8 floor standers despite being stand mount. They do have rear ports but I used to have Epic 2s within about 12 inches from a rear wall in my old townhouse, (similar sized room to yours) and didn't notice any bass boom or resonance from the ports. I didn't even have damping panels behind them. They have the best sounding treble of any soft dome tweeter I've heard, probably the most neutral and balanced speaker I've ever heard. I will never get rid of my Epic 2s because they're so dam musical. They can't produce the detail of Monitor Audio silvers, but the bass they produce for a stand mounter is astounding. The Elan 15 is a slightly upgraded Epic 2. You might also try Monitor Audio Silver stand mounters, one of the very few metal dome tweeters that doesn't sound etched to my ears, they also have front ports.