Martin Logan CLS "Buyer's Guide" Question

I’ve wanted a set of Logan CLS’s since I first heard them back in the 1980’s and would like to start looking for a pair, but could use some help to know for sure that I’d be buying a good set. Would you guys please opine on these concerns?

- What do I look for in a decent set to avoid a ’lemon’?
- What is the difference in characteristics between ’generations’ of CLS (I, Ia, II, IIa, IIz...)
- How can I identify which generation of CLS I’m dealing with, and how important is it?
- Would there be any concern about age of panels, or if the panels are replacements?
- Would you recommend a different model of ML speaker, and if so - which one, and why?

My current equipment is:
McIntosh C28 (presently in use)
Krell KRC-3 (inbound...)
Bryston 4BST
Dahlquist DQ10
Polk PSW650

I hope to replace the DQ10s in favor of the Logan’s, but it’s helpful to know what I’m getting into beforehand, to avoid a costly mistake.

Thanks in advance!

parabolic
@mofimadness fantastic post I cannot imagine anything more helpful for the OP well done!
Ditto. This is a slam-dunk for information. Thanks for the help!

Just made a (sight unseen) deal on what looks to be a very nice condition pair that allegedly are the IIs (upgraded electronics) with replacement panels (SN CS1H1715, I think) that were done in ’02-ish. It'd be helpful if there were an easy way to identify the 1-series panel from the 2-series panel.  Though they’re *theoretically* toward the end of the 12-15 year lifespan, I also tend to think that the owner has much to do with that.

I guess I’ll just roll the dice to see. Stay tuned...
@parabolic...the serial number you list would make them replacement panels made in September 1996. They were the 15th replacement panel made that month, (according to the serial number decoder).

If the serial number is correct, then they are the CLS I panels. You really shouldn’t mix I panels with II electronics and vice versa. I know people do it all the time, but you really shouldn’t do it. The electronics for the original CLS are designed to only work correctly with the original panel design.

Here are a few pictures of the original CLS. You need to notice the horizontal and vertical spars inside the panel. They are not connected to each other and the spacing is the same from side to side. Also, some of the original CLS panels had just horizontal spars with no vertical spars.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649236590-martin-logan-cls-fullrange-electrostatic-panels/ima...

Here are a few pics of a II series panel:

https://www.martinlogan.com/products/clsiiz

The II series have a little wider space on one side versus the other side and the horizontal and vertical pieces are connected to each other.

Also, the panels and electronics have different/separate serial numbers.
Hmmm... yeah, the photo he sent did show the gaps in the spars, so that would make 'em the I's, and his calculations on replacement year sadly mistaken, though I don't think he's done so intentionally.  You've given me a moment of pause, now.  What would you say is a fair price for this older set, or would you walk away?

@parabolic...you mentioned above that the speakers had upgraded II electronics.  The panels do seem to be the I series.  If you can get the serial numbers on the electronics, I can tell you what they are, unless the serial numbers were never changed to reflect the II series upgrade.

If it were me, I would walk away.  Correct CLS II speakers do pop up for sale.  Not quite as much as in the past, but still every so often.  I just am against mixing I & II panels and electronics.  They just don't sound right, if you know what they are supposed to sound like anyway.