Looking for a new pre-amp!!

At present I have a Belles OCM 200 Amp and looking to up grade to a better pre amp. Looking at a Adcom 565

Sunfire pre amp and Aragon 18k or 24 unit. Also thinking about the Emotiva usp 1 pre amp. I a two channel guy and looking for the best unit with a phono section and great sound.

Any ideals as to the best pick for under a 1000  dollars?

Wayne

wayne3720

Tks Timlub,

That Adcom 750 does not come up for sale to often and they are asking for 800 to 1000 plus sometime . I have heard a lot of good things about that model.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
Looked on Ebay,  a few really nice bang for the buck...
Arte Forma Perla preamp
Muse Model 3 Signature
PS Audio PCA2
Parasound Classic 2100 (new inexpensive, but decent pre)
I hope this helps, Tim

To All ...how does that Emotiva usp-1 pre amp sounds? No tone controls or balance functions.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,  came across 1 more on ebay for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-NAD-C-165BEE-Stereo-preamplifier-/172333925977?hash=item281fe70659...
As far as all the models that I have sent vs the Emotiva...Here is my feeble opinion:
*The Emotive with the right equipment can be decent.... I've only heard it once, but in a system that I wasn't familiar with. Many report that it can be edgy & bright, but overall a good value and again with a good gear match can be satisfying.
*Adcom GFP750 is an oldie but a goodie, Nelson Pass piece.  Remote, balanced and single ended, passive and active.  Detailed yet no grain.
*Sunfire haven't heard it, this model has a decent rep.
*Aragon 18/24... I've heard the 24, pretty good really, smooth, decent detail, but single ended only, no remote... should be low price.
*Parasound Classic 2100... I consider this in the league of all the above. Except maybe the Adcom.  A touch smoother than the Emotiva, but not much.
NAD C165BEEE Similar to the Parasound... adds a bit of warmth.  nice piece.
In my opinion,  the PS Audio,  The Muse and the Arte Forma Perla are all 3 in another league from those listed above.
Tim

Back in the day, I had two OCM 200's used as monoblocs (Used the xlr input). I was using an OCM 88 preamp which was a superb combo. Only issue was the step values on the remote volume control. I believe it was 1 db which I felt was too large.Living only an hour from the Belles factory, I took it to Dave. He modified it to either .5 or .75 db. not sure which but it was much better than the original value. You'll get many replies to your question, but the OCM 88 IMHO is a real sleeper preamp and a great compliment to your amp.