Tinnitus worries...

I have had on and off periodic ringing in the ears for 30 years, (lots of live music) and back in March I decided to invest in a new home audio system, speakers, amp preamp CD player and cables costing about 7k, I have almost constant low level tinnitus now, my doctor says it's a cumulative thing and there is little that can be done. I hardly listen to music beyond normal talking decibels, and am very careful about any other loud DB exposure. Odd how the tinnitus became constant the minute I got my new system set up.  I guess this is more of a warning than anything else, so be careful! 
racer45
I'm sure many of us have mild tinnitus from loud concerts etc. but I got it from taking Accutane. Anyway, I felt really had about it at first, but the good news is the mind is a great filter, and it really doesn't interfere with my listening, or my perception of low-level musical details. 
Much like surface noise on a vinyl record, you stop noticing it most of the time.
Racer 45, The timing of your problem is curious. Perhaps the performance of your new system somehow is contributing. Your system and you also, might benefit from extensive isolating of all your new gear. Attention to room acoustics will not hurt either if needed. At the very least your system will sound better, and with luck maybe your condition will improve too.
I know how most of us truly love this hobby, and I wish you the very best in finding a way to relieve your symptoms.
Normally I would agree with the above, but it really started when I did some extensive auditioning of equipment, I have backed off listening to my home (new) system for almost a month now with no change, the tinnitus actually may be a little worse now. I have been paying attention to the diet, I rarely have caffeine and now zero, but am also staying away from high fat foods and other foods that might exacerbate the problem. Eventually I will have to except it and simply listen at a fairly low volume, when I play music the tinnitus doesn't affect the music, to me at least I still hear everyone I remember from the past.
Racer, if your willing to pay the price and explore diet, I have evolved over the last 30 years into a now gluten-free, flour free vegan. Research suggested to me that any flour restricts arteries for about 8 hours after ingesting. I forget the %, but it's over 25 for sure. Could it influence hearing? I'm not sure because I do not have this issue. Simply put, stick to veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans and gluten-free whole grains for a week and see where you are at. It clearly helps my air flow among other things.
Apologizes to all who might feel this is off topic.
As far as diet and tinnitus, its not fat, its salt/sodium, alcohol and of course caffeine. And maybe what lpretiring mentioned but I have not gone down that route yet...
Sodium was the big one for me. You would be surprised. Cut it out as much has possible for a few days or more, then eat a pizza or big meal out or something high in sodium (most american or asian food) and then see what you hear... I now keep all meals down to 500mg or below...but thats just me. It helps.

As far as your system and room affecting it...YES, this can indeed be the case. I went through this very thing. My system sounded great but there was this almost 'unheard' high freq resonance that would set my ears off within moments. Ridding my system of glare and harshness on the power side helped but it wasn't until I properly treated the room --especially the back wall in my case-- then it was gone! I of course still have tinnitus BUT sitting in my listening chair with music no longer exacerbates it. 

I would bet your tinnitus is not actually worse in the last month, you are just concentrating on it more. Although, I have gone though three 'upticks' of it over the years and then there is a new learning curve to get to the point of not noticing it again... But do not dismiss the system and the room. Glare from your systems power and the room acoustics have a huge affect on what yo are hearing. It worked for me. And my systems sounds even better, too.