Your first component that was "special"

I got into hifi 40 years ago. I had a Pioneer receiver, Kenwood table, various entry level cartridges (ADC, Stanton, Empire) and Studio Design speakers. I wound up buying a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. That was the first piece of gear I bought that was way beyond ordinary. I had kept the cartridge until about 2o years ago- I sold it because by then no decent replacement stylus was available. Wish I still had it.

128x128zavato
My first "special component" would have to be Stax Lambda Pro headphones from 25 years ago. I still have them, but I have since upgraded to the Stax 009's.
In 1975 I purchased a H/K ST7 turntable with a Rabco arm and mounted a GAS Sleeping Beauty cart. ran that into a GAS Goliath head amp Son Of Ampzilla a Phobe preamp and a pair of Polk model 10s, wow I was set for 10 years. I know you said one peice but this system started a beautiful relationship with audio as it delivered my music in an unforgettable way.

Magnepan SMGc but not until I drive it with a proper power amp instead of a run-of-the-mill Pioneer HT receiver.
CAT SL 1 Reference Mk2 with phono.  Bought it preowned in1994 sold it 2015. performed purrrrrrfectly never an issue during our time together. At the time, a truly eye opening, and yes ear opening magical piece
That would be a pair of Fried Beta Signature series satellite speakers with a Fried "The Subwoofer" back in 85. At that time they were a true revelation compared to what I was using and a major step into this crazy hobby for me.

I still have them boxed up in storage and every once in a great while hook them up just for fun. Sure they are rolled off on the top end due to the cone tweeter but they are musical and that is an attribute I value.