Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, those are three incredibly beautiful albums. Naturally I have 2 out of 3 in my collection; Jim Hall was on the West Coast a lot, I've got him as a side man. Him and Chico Hamilton made a lot of music together.

Keep em coming.
Orpheus10, I will keep the orthodox tradition and best sound possible by avoiding conversions. Nor do I need to have record library in the computer. By the way, computers break down all the time including hard drives, your collection their is not safe unless perhaps you also have it on external hard drive, which is more reliable, though can deteriorate too.  No-one I know keeps valuable things only in their computers. Besides, one power surge and computer is gone. Yes, there are some people capable of retrieving information from seemingly ruined hard drives, but that's complicated and expensive.
I will take a leave of this thread now, will be back in a few weeks. Clearly, whatever people currently post here is not really worth my attention. You and I do have certain common ground especially when it comes to acoustic guitar and more unusual music. But I strongly disagree with your statement that there is no such thing as bad taste and that everything is subjective, that's kind of equally valid. However, this subject is far beyond and above this thread and this forum. Just a word of caution. I read a number of posts on Audiogon written by amateur psychologists at best and people having no idea of those things at worst. Let us try to refrain from discussing complicated matters here belonging somewhere else.

***** I will take a leave of this thread now, will be back in a few weeks. Clearly, whatever people currently post here is not really worth my attention.*****

***** Let us try to refrain from discussing complicated matters here belonging somewhere else.*****

Who was that Masked Man?!?!

Inna, my arrogant friend, in regard to computers, you are living in the stone age; when you get to "Bedrock" tell Wilma and Fred hello for me.

Your "tunnel vision" prevents you from seeing what's around you, it would be safer if you let someone else drive if that's necessary.

The less people know, the less they consider worthy of their attention, that's easily understandable.

On this thread, we discuss whatever we deem worthy of discussion. The fact that you only deemed one tiny genre of music worthy of your attention is indicative of tunnel vision.

Have a safe journey and, and may the force be with you.

I never thought I would see the day that some self-important 'Audiophile' could come on 'Jazz for Aficionados', insult everyone and then waltz away unscathed.  Although, he did warn us he would be back.   Reminded me of General MacArthur after he left the Philippines and arrived is Australia.  " I Shall Return ".  aahaaahha

The old Ellington tune: "Aficionados Ain't What They Used To Be", comes to mind.

Cheers