Upgrade Opinions, Thorens vs VPI

I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a better turntable.

My current setup is a Thorens TD166 MKII with the original tp11 tonearm. The table has a few mods including a solid cherry plinth and birch bottom with sorbothane feet. It also came with the 10mm spindle bearing, same one used on the TD160.

Amp: Rogue audio Sphinx 
Preamp: MM preamp built into the Sphinx
Cartidge: Shure M97xe with SAS stylus
Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8

The components listed above are my recent upgrades. I now think my table is due for an upgrade. 

I am considering installing a Jelco SA750D tonearm on my Thorens, since the tonearm is likely the weakest performing part of the table, or going with a completely new table.

I am considering the following tables:

Rega Planar 3 (possibly not a big leap?)

Rega RP8

VPI Classic 1 

Acoustic Signature Wow XL with Rega arm.

I am leaning toward the VPI, partly because I really like its look, but I do want the best sounding table under $3000 (subjective I know). Overall, I'm pleased with the current sound from my Thorens, so maybe the best bang for my buck would be a new tonearm. Some members have claimed that a Debut Carbon will blow the doors of a TD166, but in my personal experience, it's the opposite. So I'm thinking I'd probably need to spend over 1K for a real sonic upgrade over my Thorens.

Anyone have experience with VPI tables versus Thorens TD16X series? Any advice is welcome.
helomech
"Update: I took a gamble on an Acoustic Signature Wow XL with their TA-700 tonearm"

Helomech, I'm not familiar with the brand, but a look at their website shows a nice looking table.

Good luck!
My Thorens TDC 850 was made by Acoustic Signature. I have molded it though with a Origin Live motor, carbon fiber motor plate and carbon fiber tone arm board. I run an Audiomods arm. The plinth, bearing and platter is very good. 

It is the best table I've owned. Acaustic Signature makes great tables. Enjoy.
I would also like to hear a review of the Classic vs the Thorens.  I have a Thorens TD-160 with a REGA / J.A. MICHELL RB303 TONEARM upgrade and a Denon DL-103R.  Runing thru Mcintosh mc-352 x 2 and Mcintosh C-50, Martin Logan Montis speakers

Have been giving some thought to a VPI classic 1 that has been on cragslist for over a week.  
biketony,

I didn't own the Classic for very long but in the brief time I did, it didn't outperform my Thorens. My Thorens does have some low rumble noise at higher volumes that the VPI did not. I currently have a $300 cart mounted to my Thorens  (with stock tonearm) and it sounded better than the VPI with a Soundsmith Carmen. The VPI clearly ran slow while my Thorens holds almost perfect speed, even without a speed controller. The Thorens just has that great belt-drive analog fluidity and ease to the sound. To me, the Classic sounded like a worn out cassette tape.

From what I've gathered, the older Classic 1s are far superior to recent production models, mostly due to the differences in the motor. I was told the motor is mounted to the steel top plate of the plinth on the older models, but the newer ones, including the example I received, have the motor screwed directly to the wood underneath the top plate. I was told the newer motors are inferior. I won't divulge his name, but I received this info from a very well known and respected audiophile. 

Most Classics are going for somewhere between 2 and 3K. There's many options in this price range, including the Roksan Radius. 
If you like the Thorens you will love the Linn LP12. VPI is a very different flavor.