Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
@mr_m I bought mine with upgraded tubes and had a bunch of upgraded power cords around. You are right. Amazing.
Somehow people cannot comprehend that class D amp is purely analog and switching itself is inaudible. Switching is present all the time - even without input signal. Place ear against the tweeter and you will hear very low typical amp’s hiss - likely much less than with any class AB amp.

That wasn’t my experience between a Spectron Musician III mk2 (Class D) versus a Sanders Magtech (Class AB). Although the Spectron is quiet, it’s not as quiet as the Magtech. Both are inaudible at the listening position though.
I think I can tell if the amp I’m hearing is Class-D or Class A.

In my experience, Class-D always makes me think, "hmm, nothing wrong. great sound!", and a good Class A makes me think "how you can do this? what’s going on here!". Cheap class AB’s has a typical glassy haze, but I have never heard the same thing with cheap Class-D.
I own Class-D from Spec corporation, it sounds clean, plenty power for 50 watts, taut bass, smooth high, compact size........, however I just  don't get connected to the music as opposed to 'tubes' amps
The magical sound is only from 'tubes' ... that for my ears
Great discussion and lots of valid points. I agree with those who feel Class D is not ready for prime time - great for PA and subwoofers but perhaps a few more years are needed for them to become viable to the majority of critical audiophile listeners. The black background many listeners can hear with Class D indeed suggests the heavy filtering is in some way affecting the audible sound.