Mismatched preamp and CD player?

My system is Adcom GTP-500, GFA-555 and MMGs. An Onix XCD-88 and Denon DCM-280 take care of the CD side.

I cannot turn the volume on the preamp above 8 o’clock comfortably and 9 o’clock drives me from the room (7 o'clock is full off with 5 o'clock full on) . The problem is much more noticable on the Onix than the Denon, but neither is desirable. Research suggests this is due to a mismatch of the CD player output level and the preamp input sensitivity. How can I confirm this is the case, and what can I do about it if true? Are there other causes I should be looking into?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
kythyn
The Denon DCM-280 has a variable output. Just turn it's volume down to allow the Adcom preamp's volume control to go higher and not be extremely loud.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and knowledge.

So let's see if I have this right.

Onix XCD-88 goes into one of the two inputs on the SYS.  The tape out on the Adcom preamp goes into the other input on the SYS.  The output of the SYS goes to the Adcom amp?  Can the SYS sit on top of the amp as the preamp was originally designed to do?

If I decide to add a turntable, the turntable goes into the phono section of the preamp.  Will selecting tape out on the preamp send the phono output to the SYS and then onto the amp?
" Onix XCD-88 goes into one of the two inputs on the SYS.  The tape out on the Adcom preamp goes into the other input on the SYS.  The output of the SYS goes to the Adcom amp?  Can the SYS sit on top of the amp as the preamp was originally designed to do?"

Yes. Just think of the SYS as a 2 input preamp. Its just passive and doesn't process or amplify the signal in any way.

" If I decide to add a turntable, the turntable goes into the phono section of the preamp.  Will selecting tape out on the preamp send the phono output to the SYS and then onto the amp? "

Yes again. But as a future upgrade, you may want to get an external phono preamp and connect it directly to the sys.

Regarding the "gain" issue, why even keep the active preamp in the loop? You can try feeding the "Sys" with your source components and connect the output right into your amplifier. If you want to use your turntable, you can use your active preamp and substitute one of your source inputs with your preamp output.

By the way, I have a Sys and I'm using it as a passive preamp. Nice little piece.

Kalali - 

As it turns out, that is exactly what I expect to do. The CD player will be one of two primary inputs with a wireless/DAC combination the other.  Just have to decide what Wireless/Dac combination makes the most sense.  Looking at the Audioengine products now.